Thread: PS 21 issues

PS 21 issues

Can anyone tell me what all the purple blob coming from the left side across the screen is in the picture? And how to clean up the image?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    It does this all the time? Has it always done this or did it just start?

Quote Originally Posted by MDbassin View Post
    Can anyone tell me what all the purple blob coming from the left side across the screen is in the picture? And how to clean up the image?

3. Member
    All the time. Just put it on my boat

4. Member
    first thing I would try is a factory reset on the head unit with the PS21 attached. Unless the water is very dirty or has a terrible thermocline or something you should be able to run with stock settings for most things.

I have mine mounted on a stick, I have noticed similar issues from turbid water coming off my trolling motor if its pointed directly at the prop discharge. But that is only if pointed right at it, sounds like yours does this no matter what?

I

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by puhlw View Post
    first thing I would try is a factory reset on the head unit with the PS21 attached. Unless the water is very dirty or has a terrible thermocline or something you should be able to run with stock settings for most things.

I have mine mounted on a stick, I have noticed similar issues from turbid water coming off my trolling motor if its pointed directly at the prop discharge. But that is only if pointed right at it, sounds like yours does this no matter what?

I
    Yes it does it if the trolling motor is running or not. I have tried the factory reset and the lakes I fish are relatively clear.

6. Member
    I would talk to garmin and see if they will replace it. I cant think of any reason it should be doing this. They have good customer service and it wont be as painful as you might think.

7. Member
    Do you have any other sonar sources on at the same time?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Do you have any other sonar sources on at the same time?
    I have two Humminbird units on the boat but have tried using the ps21 with them on and off and it doesn’t make any difference.

9. Member
    All the time. Just put it on my boa
    t

Which MFD and are you up to date on the updates for the MFD and PS21.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post

Which MFD and are you up to date on the updates for the MFD and PS21.
    Yes. 73cv

11. Member
    With everything up to date and all other sources off, I would take puhlw's advise and call Garmin.

I have seen this a few times on my ps21, but best I can remember it was in harbors with lots of boats moving slowly in and out.

Sorry I don't have a solution for you.

12. Member
    Current software updates?

I had had that happen too, first time out was in clear water and worked great, next trip was a dirty river and sucked, just like you have there. Did an update and it all went away. Works perfectly now.
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GetReel View Post
    Current software updates?

I had had that happen too, first time out was in clear water and worked great, next trip was a dirty river and sucked, just like you have there. Did an update and it all went away. Works perfectly now.
    all up to date. No change in picture

14. Member
    I have seen this before on the PS21 and on the PS22. I'm not sure where it comes from. Use the PS22 today and never saw that once. It may have something to do with how the terrain reflects signals.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

15. Member
    Tried turning auto gain off and backing it down manually until it goes away?

Search this forum for "cone of death"

17. Member
    I have recently had some issues with my PS30 not working well in "auto". Mine is usually the auto range but also shows up on auto sensitivity in historical mode. Working with Garmin on a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    Tried turning auto gain off and backing it down manually until it goes away?

18. Member
    I've noticed that recently too. Didn't see anything in the upgrade notes about PS30 changes doing this. But since the last update, sometime every trip, I change it from Auto to manual depth for it to look like I want. I've changed fishing areas too so it's hard to say it was the software update. I thought it was something different about the different terrain.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.