Ultrex Shaft Length On Caracal

Looking at purchasing a 112 Ultrex for the Caracal. Which length should I look at 45" or 52"? Not sure what everyone else is using.

2. Member
    When I picked up my caracal the previous owner had swapped to a 60 inch ultrex. Way too long, so I cut the shaft down to a 52" and I still find it long.
    I would much rather a 45" even in rough water. I like the head of the trolling motor to be all the way down on the mount. I also cant open the port side
    locker with the longer shaft trolling motor.

3. Member
    That makes a ton of sense. Did not realize the longer length would affect opening the hatch. I would prefer the motor head to be all the way down as well for casting purposes.

I just made the same post on the fb, bass cat owners group. It was 50/50. The only time I have the 45" fortrex pop out of the water is when Im driving into big boat waves. I guess its more a matter of preference if you do alot of shallow fishing. Someone did point out that the belly tank boats sit a little more flat. I dont have rear tanks. If your gunna be off shore alot and have rear tanks Id look at the 52". The actual length on the 45" is 48" from what I hear.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

5. Member
    I actually have the belly tank and a rear 10 gallon. I fish both shallow and off shore. Have noticed with my Fortrex 45" it will pop out of the water, but the additional 3" on the Ultrex might just be perfect.

6. Member
    My boat came with the 45" fortrex, when I upgraded to the ultrex I went with the 52". I have the twin rear tanks and it wouldn't take a whole lot in open water to be surfacing the prop. I fish manly off shore and even with the 52" it will still surface in the rough stuff.

I’ve got the 52. Pops out of the water occasionally in rougher stuff on st Clair. Remember that spotlock will always point you into the waves so it tends to come out when spotlocked. As someone pointed out, the motor needs to be all the way down for you to be able to open the passenger side locker when the motor is stored. So it depends how you fish. If your mainly a shallow fisherman, go shorter.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

8. Member
    45 on mine, no issues at all.

9. Member
    45 on mine as well. No issues
    Basscat!

10. Member
    I appreciate the responses. I believe the 45" will be best for me. Having the 52" and fishing shallow in the spring will be a pain in the ass....

11. Member
    Shallow fishing mostly 45”
    Deep water fishing 52”
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

12. Member
    2018 Caracal with 45" Ulterx 36 volt. No problems at all.

45 on my Jaguar no problem

14. Member
    If you fish LSC or Erie you need the 52...Other than that I would go with the 45..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

15. Member
    45 and I fish offshore on T-Bend quite a bit with almost no issues. It will come out of the water every once in a while (really rough stuff) but not enough to worry me.

16. Member
    I went through the same debate on my 2018 Caracal. I have the rear tanks and I went with the 45inch. So far I don't regret it a bit. I have a 52”on my other boat and I feel like it’s too long.

This is the right answer...

Quote Originally Posted by lamoon78 View Post
    Shallow fishing mostly 45”
    Quote Originally Posted by lamoon78 View Post
    Deep water fishing 52”

18. Member
    How about all around fishing?

i find the 45” works well. I guess if you are in 3’ swells then the 52” may be better, but it’s coming out of the water too.

19. Member
    Ended up going with the 45". This might be the best piece of equipment I have ever owned. Absolutely love the Ultrex.

20. Member
    It’s an awesome motor. I’m still learning all the capabilities. And I think you will be happy with the 45”. Enjoy!