Hole shot problem finally cured

After trying multiple 24 Raker originals on my 2003 Stratos 18XL with 175 Johnson I decided to try a 24 Razor 3 from Mark & she jumps out of the hole now. Great prop in my opinion.

2. Member
    just my 2 cents but the original rakers don't have big enough vent holes to allow the prop to spool up on take off. whereas the razor 3 uses the pvs plug system which lets the prop vent more on take off. That is normally the problem on most holeshot issues is the prop isn't venting enough to spool up in rpms. Mark makes some fine props though. Ive run a few and always been pleased!
    Stratos 201 Pro Elite, Evinrude 200 Etec H.O., Minn Kota, Humminbird

3. Member
    Not Venting enough wasn’t the problem on mine. Lol 3 different rakers blew out on mine & i’d have to let off & let it catch then nail it. I even epoxied up the holes on the fastest one & it done great until you either filled up with gas or 3 got in the boat. The Razor 3 completely cured my problems. This is however the first hull I’ve ever had an original Raker blow out on & i’ve had a bunch of them. They also didn’t blow out on buddy’s hulls when I let them try them. Now i’ve got 3 Raker 24s sitting in the garage. Lol

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Not Venting enough wasn’t the problem on mine. Lol 3 different rakers blew out on mine & i’d have to let off & let it catch then nail it. I even epoxied up the holes on the fastest one & it done great until you either filled up with gas or 3 got in the boat. The Razor 3 completely cured my problems. This is however the first hull I’ve ever had an original Raker blow out on & i’ve had a bunch of them. They also didn’t blow out on buddy’s hulls when I let them try them. Now i’ve got 3 Raker 24s sitting in the garage. Lol
    well time to sell some props lol
    Stratos 201 Pro Elite, Evinrude 200 Etec H.O., Minn Kota, Humminbird

5. Member
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Les...that's the same problem I found when running a Raker on my boat. All though the Raker was the fastest prop I've tried yet, I couldn't deal with the blowing out issue. I also ended up closing all the vent holes on that prop but it didn't seem to make much of a difference. How is the lift and speed with that Razor prop? Ed
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

7. Member
    Ed, I haven’t got to fine tune my setup with the razor yet. It seemed to lift fine though. The lake I tried it on is a small local lake that’s just under 800 actes. I ran it up to 60 & it was doing fine, but I slowed down because there were some kayakers on the water. From what I could tell i’m going to like it just fine though. As far as speed goes the Raker I regularly ran only got 5 % slip so it ran pretty good.