Opinions please on this additional fuel pump

Please see picture. When I bought boat from previous owner he told me this was an additional fuel pump to help with extra humidity conditions in places like Florida. I took my boat to a local repair shop to have some unrelated things checked out. They commented on this item and asked me it's purpose and stated they felt like it was a fire hazard and that there was an extra strong smell of gas. I have no gas leaks. I'm just used to the smell I suppose. And for all I know it's no worse smelling than other boats. I have no idea if it contributes to more efficiency in some way, if it's a hazard, or if it's unnecessary and one more thing that can go wrong. After those recent comments I figure I should look into this. I have a Suzuki 250 ss. I thought about posting this in general bassboat topics but figured I'd ask Suzuki crew first. If you know someone who may be knowledgeable on this please tag them or send them to this forum. Thanks as always.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    First of all, did you get your NMEA network fixed and C10 working correctly? In regards to the aux fuel pump, does it replace the primer bulb and pump directly into the engine? I see no harm in it, but if it should fail, hopefully there's a way you can bypass it and return back to a fuel line with a primer bulb . The one thing that I can see is a fire hazard is if your fuel water separator has a clear bowl on it. My dealer won't install that style of fuel water of separator because our bilges aren't designed to handle the potential fuel spills from emptying the clear glass. So for liability reasons, I just stick to the older style fuel water separator filters.
    Last edited by booter; 07-18-2018 at 07:50 AM.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

3. Member
    I have heard the Coast Guard requires two clamps per fitting on pressurized fuel lines. Personally I think those clamps are a little narrow for that application and can cut into the fuel line, if you could get some good 360 degree one-time use hose clamps that you put on with end cutting dikes they might be better.
    I don't smell any fuel. Is that a fuel pressure regulator I see? That's a first for me.

4. Banned
    Just my opinion, but too much pressure will cause the needle an seat in the VST not to close. 2to 3lbs should be ok.

5. Member
    It is not uncommon at all for a boat to have an auxiliary fuel pump mounted in the boat. Both Yamaha and Mercury address the installation in some of their service documentation. I suspect that Suzuki does also.

If the pump, the boat and motor are all working well I would just leave well enough alone. But if you are concerned it would be very easy to bypass the pump and the regulator and see what happens.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I have heard the Coast Guard requires two clamps per fitting on pressurized fuel lines. Personally I think those clamps are a little narrow for that application and can cut into the fuel line, if you could get some good 360 degree one-time use hose clamps that you put on with end cutting dikes they might be better.
    I don't smell any fuel. Is that a fuel pressure regulator I see? That's a first for me.
    90+% of the laws related to fuel system components in a boat are not applicable to boats that are powered by outboard motors. Many read the laws (such as those related to clamps and such) and fail to take into account the exception for outboard powered boats.

A Racor fuel filter with a plastic bowl is one that is widely misunderstood. It is OK with outboard powered boats but not acceptable for inboard powered boats. Many presume that it cannot be used below decks on an outboard powered boat. Not correct.

7. Member
    Thanks for the clarification.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.