Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

360 issues maybe

Got my Ultrex mount 360 installed. Connected the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet hub. Also have my Helix 12 and 10 connected to the hub. Connected the 360 to power. When I power up my Helix 12 at the bow and go to system status the 360 shows disconnected. I see the heading sensor and if I go to the menu and network I can see my other graph but nothing for the 360. I verified there is power to the wires I used for the 360 and checked the Ethernet cables and connections. Does the 360 need to be in the water to work? Not sure what else to check.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

Have you waited several minutes for the system to recognize the 360? It won’t recognize it right away.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    Have you waited several minutes for the system to recognize the 360? It won’t recognize it right away.
    I waited several minutes. Checked the unit at the console to see if it was connected to that one but it also showed disconnected. I'm doing this in my garage and wasn't sure about the unit running while out of the water.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    I waited several minutes. Checked the unit at the console to see if it was connected to that one but it also showed disconnected. I'm doing this in my garage and wasn't sure about the unit running while out of the water.
    It will connect out of water no problem.
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

5. Member
    Thanks. I guess I'll have to call Humminbird. I just hope the unit isn't bad.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

I would try connecting the 360 directly to each unit and see if it connects. Eliminate the network first as a troubleshooting option. Are all your units updated?
    NRA Life Member

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    I would try connecting the 360 directly to each unit and see if it connects. Eliminate the network first as a troubleshooting option. Are all your units updated?
    I'll try that if I can. I've ran so many wires through the access hole it's getting very difficult to squeeze any more wires. Also I noticed on the power wire for the 360 there were 3 wires. Two black ones and one red one. I only connected the red one and the black one that was already stripped. Not sure what that 3rd black wire was for. And yes I updated the Helix 12 yesterday to the latest update. I also downloaded the latest 360 update but I'm guessing it won't install unless the 360 is connected.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

I'll try that if I can. I've ran so many wires through the access hole it's getting very difficult to squeeze any more wires. Also I noticed on the power wire for the 360 there were 3 wires. Two black ones and one red one. I only connected the red one and the black one that was already stripped. Not sure what that 3rd black wire was for. And yes I updated the Helix 12 yesterday to the latest update. I also downloaded the latest 360 update but I'm guessing it won't install unless the 360 is connected.
    The extra wire is called a drain wire and what to do with it is stated in the installation instructions on page 35.
    Tape the drain wire.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The extra wire is called a drain wire and what to do with it is stated in the installation instructions on page 35.
    Tape the drain wire.
    Thanks Wayne. I did that, just wanted to make sure. Also, an fyi. I only verified I have power to the two wires I used to connect the 360 power wires with. I have no idea how to verify I'm actually getting power to the 360 itself since there is no light or anything.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

You can tell it is getting power by listening to it when you first turn the power on. It makes a noise for a few seconds.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    You can tell it is getting power by listening to it when you first turn the power on. It makes a noise for a few seconds.
    Great, thanks. Just to be clear I needed to connect the black wire that was already stripped and has solder on it, correct?
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

Black is negative and red is positive.

Paragraphs 5a and 5b in the installation instructions.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    Black is negative and red is positive.

Paragraphs 5a and 5b in the installation instructions.
    Yes, I understand that but there are two "black" wires. One was already striped and the other wasn't. I used the "black" wire that was already stripped and had solder on it.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

14. Member
    As Wayne said you can verifiy it’s on by putting your ear on the shaft of the 360 and having someone turn the power on to it . You don’t need to power up your units just the 360. you should hear the motor turn for a second and a very faint beep that you won’t hear if your ear is not on the 360 shaft. If no noise then your 360 is not getting power.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    As Wayne said you can verifiy it’s on by putting your ear on the shaft of the 360 and having someone turn the power on to it . You don’t need to power up your units just the 360. you should hear the motor turn for a second and a very faint beep that you won’t hear if your ear is not on the 360 shaft. If no noise then your 360 is not getting power.
    Okay, I have verified there is power coming from my boat power. I have verified there is at least 12v going into the quick disconnect power. I turn on the boat power and I don't hear any noise coming from the 360 at all. I have eliminated the Ethernet hub connection by connecting the 360 directly to the back of my Helix with two different Ethernet cables. Still no connection to the Helix. At this point It seems like a bad power connection either at the quick disconnect or the 360 itself, which I believe is the issue. I've called HB support and they are checking some things and will call me back. I'm afraid I will have to send a brand new unit back to HB. I could try and pull the bottom of the 360 off and check the power there I guess but at this point to frustrated.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

I could try and pull the bottom of the 360 off and check the power there I guess but at this point to frustrated.
    I wouldn't do that and take a chance on voiding the warranty
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    The pod is filled with acoustic oil to have solid sound transmission from the SI crystals to the pod housing and allow the crystals to rotate.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    I agree. I meant the part that holds the pod to the shaft. Like you would to shorten the shaft. For now I'll just wait to hear from HB if they actually call me back.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

19. Member
    I understand your getting 12 volts at the plug . What I’m saying is if you use the “drain”. As the negative it won’t power up the 360. I want to say the drain wire was in the middle of the 3 and tinned as well if memory Serves Correct . I get the feeling this is what’s going on. I’m not saying you didn’t get a bad one. We all have had it happen at least once in life. I know it’s a pia to get to the wires but it’s where I would start . Also check the pins at the quick disconnect I had a problem once with them not making good contact so I had to tweak them a little very little.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    I understand your getting 12 volts at the plug . What I’m saying is if you use the “drain”. As the negative it won’t power up the 360. I want to say the drain wire was in the middle of the 3 and tinned as well if memory Serves Correct . I get the feeling this is what’s going on. I’m not saying you didn’t get a bad one. We all have had it happen at least once in life. I know it’s a pia to get to the wires but it’s where I would start . Also check the pins at the quick disconnect I had a problem once with them not making good contact so I had to tweak them a little very little.
    Thanks. I did check all three wires with a circuit tester to make sure I only connected the negative and positive wires. Heck I even tried to connect both black wires at one point and nothing. I connected the negative and positive wires to the power extension cable and then use the tester to test each pin the the male end and it gets 12v there as well. I agree it could be a bad or maybe the pins need adjusting or maybe at one point used the wrong black wire but as far as I can tell I have connected the correct wires. I will check the pins on the male end tomorrow and jack with the stupid wires again. Might as well since after spending almost an hour on the phone with someone at HB support who said they would call me back but never did nor even gave me a ticket number I have to start all over with support again. And they will just give me the same old song and dance again. And by the way only one of my black wires was stripped and tinned. The other one as not stripped at all and I have no idea which one would be in the middle. I appreciate the help!
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast