ZO6

Navionics + advanced features on Raymarine

I am thinking about the Axiom Pro 9 with the Navionics + mapping. My question is ...if you buy this option when the machine is initially purchased do the features which Navionics considered advanced disappear after the machine is 1 year old? Is a subscription renewal required to maintain all the features of the original chip? What is the renewal charge? Assuming they shut them off what is left for the Axiom Pro owner to enjoy?

Would like to know before I make a $2700 purchase.

Thanks

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Im running the +chip, I believe your data stays, it just stops updating.
    its 99.00 a year to renewal, being it adds your updates and everyone else running them.

I have TN lake, Gunnerville, CNick, Jack and Lake Okeechobee, all all gets updated even if Im not there.

But the live updates I think works and stays in the unit, it just isn't sent in to Navionics to have the map updated.

3. ZO6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Im running the +chip, I believe your data stays, it just stops updating.
    its 99.00 a year to renewal, being it adds your updates and everyone else running them.

I have TN lake, Gunnerville, CNick, Jack and Lake Okeechobee, all all gets updated even if Im not there.

But the live updates I think works and stays in the unit, it just isn't sent in to Navionics to have the map updated.
    So after a year are you back to the basic Raymarine maps?

4. BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZO6 View Post
    So after a year are you back to the basic Raymarine maps?
    No after a year you can’t update your maps with the freshest data unless you pay $99. Whatever was on the card will still be there

5. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    ^^^^^
    correct to my understanding.
    It just stays at the last update.

6. Member
    You get a free 1 yr subscription to Navionics when you buy.

Once you update, it stays on the card.

Adter a year, you either keep what you have or pay for a year to keep updating.

FYI, I see lots of complaints are the year subscription to have current data available. Most mapping companies sell map cards with current data at the time the card was created. Then if you want more coverage that is available after that you have to wait for the next year's product release to get the newer data. That is an additional full purchase price of a new card.

Navionics started the Freshest Data program in mid 2010. Not only do you get current data at the time the card was created, you can update as often as you want up to a year. Then after that year has expired you can renew the Freshest Data subscription for another year and keep on having the opportunity to have current data. You don't have to purchase a new card annually to have new data if you want it. The subscription renewal is $99.
    You don't loose any data that is on the card at any time unless you purposely delete it.
    Every map company adds new locations and improves their existing data during the year.
    Navionics lets you stay up to date with the data they have every day. They do about 2,000 updates/additions world wide every day.
    Their website's Chart Viewer is also updated every day and is current. You can check that site and see the actual maps to determine if new data has been added for the locations you visit and update your card to get that added data as long as you have an active Freshest Data subscription. If you do Sonar Charts and want the benefit of others providing data for Sonar Charts, the subscription gives you access to the new data as soon as it is processed.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. ZO6
    I think my questions are partially answered. It is nice to get mapping updates all through the life of my subscription. Especially if the updates are of the areas I frequent and not far flung places in the world I will never see. However on my last Navionics card I can't say I recognized any changes on my card even though I updated frequently. Probably there I just didn't detect.
    I was also wondering if the features Navionics considers advanced such as highlighting shallow areas, adjusting contrast on contours and selecting fishing ranges remain active after a year when the Navionics +mapping is purchased on the Raymarine. I realize these features are unavailable if the subscription is not renewed on a stand alone card. I guess it seems reasonable to me that could be an added benefit to purchase Navionics + with the Raymarine machine. Is the Navionics + mapping part of the memory on the Raymarine or a stand alone card?
    Just trying to get the facts before I spend the money.

9. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Well the Shadow highlighting, and fishing range I believe is done on the MFD, Are you recording your sonar logs and uploading them to Navionics?

I understand that only the updating of the map is not available after the subscription runs out.

10. Member
    The Navionics+ part is saved on the card. The sonar logs are on the card as well.

You really only notice changes to the map is someone is sending in sonar logs of the areas that you fish. The good thing about sonar charts live is you can see the differences between the map and what is actually there right away. If you upload the sonar log of the area you will see the changes to the sonar chart in a week or so. I have personally seen a big difference on some areas that we have logged and uploaded.