Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tools for rebuilding 3 Liter lower units

Hey guys, I would like to learn how to rebuild a lower unit. What tools would be required to rebuild a 3 liter service master?

Brad

2. Kllr bee
    First thing to do is get a service manual for the motor. It will show needed tools. They aren't cheap. You better be a better than good mechanic. It is not as easy as building the motor. There is absolutely no room for error.
    Richard

My service manual does not have the LU included..... So be sure and check before spending your money..
    You might want to do some research -- I know a couple of shops that wont do some work on a LU.

4. Member
    My MERCURY service manual includes everything. SELOC and such not so much.

As far as tools, depends on what you mean by rebuilding. If you are talking seals, main tool is the cover nut tool. I have made tools to remove (say) the shift shaft seal (deep well socket, ground down leaving two ears that mate with the seal removal slots. If you are talking about setting pinion depth and such, then you need much more stuff and much more skill.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

My MERCURY Racing 300XS service manual does not and I was not happy about it.. Why I urge you to make sure before shelling out the $$$.

Mine does show what special tools are needed for other work.. just nothing for LU

6. Member
    Thanks for the advice guys. I have not done a lot of work on outboards, though I do all my own maintenance and have owned outboards since 79. I know my way around one pretty well. I have worked on cars of all sorts. Rebuilt many engines, manual transmissions, differentials, and transfer cases. I do not plan to make any money doing this, I just want to learn how and I do not have any doubt that I could do it. I have a lot of mechanical ability, looks and money not so much.... =)

7. Member
    I ordered a Mercury service manual last night. I will read the manual and go from there.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mygreenihc View Post
    Hey guys, I would like to learn how to rebuild a lower unit. What tools would be required to rebuild a 3 liter service master?

Brad
    Please see the Announcements and provide the required info.

Folks- DON'T try to apply your manual info to every 3L engine. RACING models often do NOT include the gearcase as there were multiple gearcase choices!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Would like the tools require to remove the front seals on a torquemaster.

11. Member
    Hammer and a punch.

12. Member
    GEN 1 OR 2 ????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

13. Member
    I think I have the gen 2
    From 2012
    My motor is 2009 but the lower unit was replaced on warranty in 2012

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Please see the Announcements and provide the required info.
    Sorry Don, I really didn't expect this to be engine specific. I guess I didn't put enough thought into the question before I asked it.

The engine is a 2005 Optimax 225, serial number: 1B106906

I plan to order a new LU from you to replace this one and thought this would be a good one to learn with. It has a water leak so the bearings and seals will need to be changed at least, but it should be a good rebuildable unit. If it works, then I have learned something. If it don't maybe it will the second time. It won't hurt to try.

Brad

15. Member
    Rebuilding a lower unit and getting it shimmed properly is not something for a FIRST time DIYer......The cost to purchase all the tools required for a one time rebuild, is not very cost effective. Your best bet is to send your CURRRENT lower unit to Don for a re-seal.

16. Member
    OK, thanks

17. Kllr bee
    fishnfireman, 300x manual has sportmaster and torquemaster gearcases. That's what I had to get.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by kllr bee View Post
    fishnfireman, 300x manual has sportmaster and torquemaster gearcases. That's what I had to get.
    Richard
    You would think with how much it cost, they would have included it in the 300XS manual.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    You would think with how much it cost, they would have included it in the 300XS manual.
    Too many gearcases- and too much info for one manual.

Additionally, very few techs actually build gearcases (successfully) anymore.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

20. Kllr bee
    That's sad. Do they not teach it in training courses anymore. It's not THAT hard to me.
    Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast