Thread: Wheel bearing ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    You have to pull the silver cap off the end and there should be a grease zerk behind it.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    You have to pull the silver cap off the end and there should be a grease zerk behind it.
    Not sure you read my earlier post clearly. 2 years ago I serviced one wheel because the seal was compromised and it was slinging grease. When I opened it up there is no grease zerk on the end of the spindle, no tapped threads for a grease zerk, and no grease zerk on the the hub housing anywhere. I had to fill the hub housing with grease by hand, the cap by hand and then put it back on.

There is a label on the trailer that claims they are maintenance free and are to last a lifetime. What does that mean ? 5000 miles or 500,000 miles. What is considered a lifetime ?
    GETFISHED !!!

Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Not sure you read my earlier post clearly. 2 years ago I serviced one wheel because the seal was compromised and it was slinging grease. When I opened it up there is no grease zerk on the end of the spindle, no tapped threads for a grease zerk, and no grease zerk on the the hub housing anywhere. I had to fill the hub housing with grease by hand, the cap by hand and then put it back on.

There is a label on the trailer that claims they are maintenance free and are to last a lifetime. What does that mean ? 5000 miles or 500,000 miles. What is considered a lifetime ?
    Can you post a pic of your bearing protector?
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

4. Member
    I will but it will have to be tomorrow evening
    GETFISHED !!!

5. Member
    On my original post I specified Bearing Buddy STYLE greasing devices. I have no experience at all with the style the author uses depicted in the photographs.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post

Sounds like a Vault hub.

Would help to know exactley which hub you have.

You say the only way to get grease inside is by hand ??? IF thats the case I see no way to ever get enough grease inside to push the "outer disc/cap"..
    Anyway they have an outer cap/disc that should stick out maybe 1/4 to 1/2” when they are full of grease

Does this help?

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Looks like a large messy PIA !!

10. Member
    My Champ had the same system as in the video. What a pain!! I and our local dealer messed with them for over two years and could not keep them working like they were suppose to.. I finally had enough and converted them over to regular grease with Red Eye grease caps and now no trouble in over 3 years. Red Eyes work great, no grease leakage and you can tell at a glance if everything is as it should be. One of my buddies had oil lubricated hub on his R boat and lost a complete spindle, tire, wheel and all on the freeway. What a mess he had to replace the spindle and all of the parts on that side of the axle. He had no warning at all, he had gassed up and did a walk-around check about 35 miles earlier.

11. BBC Lifetime Member Fish TR19's Avatar
    Maybe this will help. My trailer is a 2002 and has this set up.

http://www.waymires.com/support_docu...ice_manual.pdf

Didn't notice this was already posted. sorry

Same link in post 18.
    Last edited by Fish TR19; 08-02-2018 at 06:46 PM.

12. Member
    Guys , the link, video and all other comments are helpful. Thanks so much. The vault is the style I have. My marine tech did a piss poor job. I usually do these myself. I just thought that while it was in the shop for some minor glass repair and lower unit replacement I would have them serviced at the same time. Well they had it 2 months and one day and I can't use the boat until I go through the wheel bearings to get them right, not to mention the lower unit was not installed correctly ( how the hell do you mess that up ? ). So I have been without a boat since May 5 and from the looks of it it's ging to be a while longer before I get to use it.

If they had done proper work I would have been able to slip out on Wednesday evenings at the very least here and there but since I have to correct this crap it is going to have to just sit for a while. I work part time , have a wife and raising a grandson along with an unexpected list of extra things that have popped up that have to be addressed before I can get around to the boat.

When I do I will revive this thread with an update. with a bit of luck I may even provide a few pics along the way. I'm interested to see what I encounter when I open up those bearings.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it.
    GETFISHED !!!

Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12