Thread: Asheville Area

Asheville Area

I live in Middle TN but am what you would call a super commuter and my office is in Arden NC right outside of Asheville. Live in Hotel 2-4 nights/week while managing a MFG facility here.

Lake James is roughly 40min from where I am and I have zero to do after 4pm every day... would it be worth it to haul a boat from Middle TN (4hrs) each week to fish? Is the lake that kind of quality? Any input on that or a lake within reasonable distance of me is greatly appreciated!

A lot of people call it the Dead Sea. So no I wouldn’t trailer my boat 4 hours to fish it. It can be fun in the spring and fall but really tough right now.

3. Member
    You can try Julian which should be right across the street from you if you are staying in Arden.

4. Banned
    I would try some of the streams in that area for trout and smallmouth. There is some good fishing there for them.

Get a Yak and hit the river
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

6. Member
    We have a place up there at Black Bear campground, just back from a weeks stay and like juice said, "it was tough"...

Couple trips planned for August, I would be happy to take you out, pm me if your interested...

I just relocated here last fall. I've been out on James twice and tried every lure/tactic and only had few bites. "Dead Sea" sounds pretty accurate.

I'm headed south to Lake Keowee in SC for my next outing. It's a shorter drive too. Some old timers I spoke with at Lake James boat ramp said that's the place to go if you want to actually catch fish. They said James is a good drinking lake.

I live in Arden and work in Fletcher by the airport. If you want to grab a beer some night and talk fish let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by ledgeman View Post
    I live in Middle TN but am what you would call a super commuter and my office is in Arden NC right outside of Asheville. Live in Hotel 2-4 nights/week while managing a MFG facility here.

Lake James is roughly 40min from where I am and I have zero to do after 4pm every day... would it be worth it to haul a boat from Middle TN (4hrs) each week to fish? Is the lake that kind of quality? Any input on that or a lake within reasonable distance of me is greatly appreciated!

8. Joe4d
    I grew up south of Marion, MACDOWELLL High class 86,,, Never fihed james much,, few times in a jon mostly creak and ponded fished, Although we used to cut class in spring and fish the white bass run up the catawba.
    Anyway read these posts,,, then read some magazine articles,,, that said opposite,, although umm grain of salt,,
    So checked some Tuesday night tournement results to see what was actually happening,, few fish lot of zeros,,, seems about 12-13 lbs 5 fish will win or be in money.
    Surprising thing about it though.
    I KNOW about half the people listed on the results, and I left that area in 1988.

9. Member
    They run that Tuesday night out of Bear Creek, I see them when I'm up there. The lake can be tough no doubt, but there are some good ones in there, both largemouth and smallmouth. I certainly haven't figured it out, best day has been 6 or 7 fish, lots of days with only a couple of bites...

10. Member
    Thanks for all the info fella's