Jig trailers: summer vs winter

Do ya’ll use the same jig trailer year around or does summer jig fishing need a different trailer than winter?
    Just curious how much bulk, movement and other factors determine jig trailer selection.

2. Member
    Use the same year round here,, well till ice covers it up. But up here when the water is 50 or below were better off cranking, then maybe a jig slowly swam with a white trailer. Cold water is the only time I crank, rest of the year its mostly jig or C-rig..
    I use the same crawbody with curltails all year, but when the water is 45 or below I'll cut off about 1/4" off the tails. This craw I'm using has pretty large curltails, smaller tails wouldn't have as much vibration. Too much vibration and they wont bite as well with the cold stuff.
    Last edited by brushsjigs; 07-18-2018 at 08:45 AM.

3. Banned
    Still use tried and true pork when it's frigid Works great in summer too

4. Member
    Once the water warms to 50 degrees I’m throwing a rage chunk every time. Anything below that I skip the jig and fish a spider
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

only thing I ever changed from summer to winter months was the amount of action the trailer has.
    I use just a Craw type trailer with no action in the winter and a paca chunk or rage chunk in the summer. fall and spring I use Yamammoto Twin tail grubs

6. Member
    Winter I'm goin with less action or a twin tail. As water warms, I'm going to a bulkier trailer with more action.
    Winter - BPS Swimmin Elite Chunk or a Chompers twin tail or a Zoom Critter Craw
    Summer - Zoom Speed Craws, Berkely Chigger, SK Rage Craw or Rage Bug.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

7. Member
    The rage dB Craw performs well in colder water, tite action and catches fish ! Just throwing out another option .

8. Member
    There is a somewhat new player with old technology for jig trailers and skirts. I have been using them for about 6 months and pretty much ended my need to have to guess at what trailer or skirt to use. They are made from soft leather an come in a few colors right now. If you are an old pork rine user like I was, you will understand how deadly these things are. They are not packed in a jar like they used to be and are now a dry product but when it hits the water it comes alive. I have pretty much abandoned the plastic trailers now for jig and spoons

Quote Originally Posted by TxRanger1 View Post
    There is a somewhat new player with old technology for jig trailers and skirts. I have been using them for about 6 months and pretty much ended my need to have to guess at what trailer or skirt to use. They are made from soft leather an come in a few colors right now. If you are an old pork rine user like I was, you will understand how deadly these things are. They are not packed in a jar like they used to be and are now a dry product but when it hits the water it comes alive. I have pretty much abandoned the plastic trailers now for jig and spoons
    I made some of my own from chamois cloth after seeing these from Leather Baits and remembering the old trick of using strips of chamois cloth lashed to a hook for fly fishing - we called them "slurpees" then. I cut out some craw and generic skirt shapes and dyed some "green pumpkin" with some suede dye, others black with an industrial permanent marker. Added advantage is that natural chamois cloths are softened with fish oil, so they even have a fishy scent to them!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34