Thread: Project boats

Project boats

Hey guys I'm looking for a project for the winter. Where do you guys go to look for project boats?

2. Member
    Facebook marketplace... lots of projects on mine. But then some of them listing have a unusual expectation of value.

Craigslist ?
    It is what it is

Quote Originally Posted by fisherboy61 View Post
    Hey guys I'm looking for a project for the winter. Where do you guys go to look for project boats?
    You need to determine what your perception of "project" means, because it can run the gamut:
    Example 1: Needs a good cleaning, polish, clean seats and carpet, new trailer tires, motor tune-up?
    Example 2: Needs all new carpet, new seats, hull repair work, transom work, trailer rebuild, engine rebuild/replacement?

You'll spend more initially for the first example, but may not need much in repair dollars after the purchase.
    You may spend very little on the second example, but the repair dollars add up, and could easily match what you would have spent on a decent boat that needs little major fixing (like the first example).

A great smokin' deal on a garage-kept, original owner cream puff that needs almost no money put into it (like example 1) is pretty rare. So you need to be realistic about your budget, skills, and patience.

If you are up for any challenge (strong DIY skills and mechanical aptitude), and/or have a healthy repair budget (aka: new trailer, new engine, etc., professional fiberglass repair), check out salvage sights online. Here is an example - networked to many other online and brick & motor stores across the country:
    http://salvageboatsale.com/