Tandem leaf springs rattling

So I have a tandem trailer with leaf springs, the shackles are between the wheels on a pivoting piece, they seem loose, so I snugged them up 1/4 turn or so, now it doesn't rattle nearly as much, question is, did I do the right thing or should I turn them another 1/4--1/2 turn?
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Check the spring hanger bushings that the bolts go thru to connect the springs to the frame and the pivot between the springs. There's a plastic like bushing there that will wear and then squeak and rattle when worn.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    +1
    bushings may need to be changed.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

4. Joe4d
    also pay attention,,, Cant rember at the moment but either the bolt head or the nut should not be turned.. It has grooves in it that lock it to the shackle.. So one has to be held in place, the other turned or you will break the little grooves that act as a lock nut.. Then you end up really needing new bolts nuts and shackles

5. Member
    I would replace bolts, nylock nuts, bushings, links, both equalizers. Youll have everything apart anyway. Nylock nuts usually turn down tight,then back off 1/2 turn. I replaced leaf springs as well on mine and just removed only 3 bolts/nuts on each side as a assembly. Beat removing every bolt amd nut.

I had some squeeking and rattling issue on my trailer. Replaced the bushings and bolts with parts from etrailer.com. I paid extra for the never fail bushings, but they are supposed to last a lifetime.

If you overtighten the shackles and equalizer it will bind up.
    As already stated -- IMO new bushings at the least.. Here is what happens if you wait to long.. you'll have to replace a lot more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    Fisherman We're you able to find a replacement bracket that the bolt holes had worn out and if so who had them?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by javelin90 View Post
    Fisherman We're you able to find a replacement bracket that the bolt holes had worn out and if so who had them?
    Thanks
    It is called an "Equalizer" and any trailer supply should have them, both individually and in complete suspension rebuild kits.

If you cant find them local -- try trailer parts superstore on line..
    Was unable to find that exact one pictured - just make sure the distance between holes is the same..