2008 ranger 188vx

I was thinking of putting 2 12 foot minnkota talons on a 2008 ranger 188vx with a yamaha 150 vmax. I was looking for opinions on whether it will hurt getting out of the hole very much and if I would be better going with 8 or 10 foot talons. Thanks for your help in advance.

2. Member
    Go with the Ultrex instead. You will get more benefits from that upgrade. Talons will kill performance and add to backwash in your rig. The Ultrex is the most important advancement in boat control in a decade. IMO.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WjColdWater View Post
    Go with the Ultrex instead. You will get more benefits from that upgrade. Talons will kill performance and add to backwash in your rig. The Ultrex is the most important advancement in boat control in a decade. IMO.
    ��This guy is right. Ultrex is all you need unless you like them for docking or you sight fish enough to justify them.

Two will kill your holeshot with a 150. 1 not so much. I have no issues with 1 8 footer. You might have to reprop if adding 2.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

5. Member
    I have a single 10' Talon on mine and holeshot and top end are still decent. I will buy an Ultrex next before I spend the money on a 2nd Talon. I do fish shallow a lot and like to fish in the slop where an Ultrex is most likely going to be helpful. I also enjoy the Talon at the boat ramp, tie off the front and anchor the back.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cwalsh View Post
    I have a single 10' Talon on mine and holeshot and top end are still decent. I will buy an Ultrex next before I spend the money on a 2nd Talon. I do fish shallow a lot and like to fish in the slop where an Ultrex is most likely going to be helpful. I also enjoy the Talon at the boat ramp, tie off the front and anchor the back.
    I’ll point out here that the G2 150 has monster torque on the low end, so it’s less likely to be pulled down by Talons than some other engines. It’s pretty common knowledge by now that within the last year or two, most who have installed twin shallow water anchors on smaller bass boats have reported significant impacts on performance, especially hole shot, and Talons worse than Power Poles. Which tradeoffs one is willing to accept, and which not, can be a puzzle. That’s the great thing about this forum, though: usually we can find others (or search the archives) who have tried what we are contemplating. Let others be the guinea pigs!
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    I’ll point out here that the G2 150 has monster torque on the low end, so it’s less likely to be pulled down by Talons than some other engines. It’s pretty common knowledge by now that within the last year or two, most who have installed twin shallow water anchors on smaller bass boats have reported significant impacts on performance, especially hole shot, and Talons worse than Power Poles. Which tradeoffs one is willing to accept, and which not, can be a puzzle. That’s the great thing about this forum, though: usually we can find others (or search the archives) who have tried what we are contemplating. Let others be the guinea pigs!
    I am super happy with the G2. Fished a tournament last weekend with water temp @80 degrees and with 3/4 tank of gas, partner and live wells full I still had around a 4 second hole shot and ran 56 gps on top. Consistently see 58-61 and less than 3 second hole shot with myself and no live wells filled.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2