Lower unit break in.

Tried to break in my lower unit last weekend. Felt like I drove around at varying speeds forever, yet I only put 1.5 hours on it. Five hours is almost more than I have run my motor the whole year.

2. Member
    Go fishing more often lol. I've put 160 on mine in 2 years

I think I put close to 5 on mine the past 2 weekends haha
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

4. Member
    Buy a SEI lower unit did ya? cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

5. Member
    Nope. Brand new Yamaha LU.

I fish in indiana. The lakes are less than 10 miles long. I can run to the other end of any of our lakes in less than 8-10 min.

I didn't know there was a breakin period for lower units. I got a new one 2 years ago, and just drove it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    Nope. Brand new Yamaha LU.

I fish in indiana. The lakes are less than 10 miles long. I can run to the other end of any of our lakes in less than 8-10 min.
    Then you have nothing to worry about. If you put a full load on it at max rpm and power I still don't think you could hurt it. The gears are machined fine enough that there is not much of a break in if at all. Now if you are talking a SEI, well, that may be another story. They need some excuse as to why they fail and improper break in is just one of them! Any lower that I have rebuilt I just run it with no issues yet. CJ

8. Member
    Still do a 10 hour and 20 hour oil change?

9. Member
    Still do a 10 hour and 20 hour oil change?
    Yes sir! that quart of oil is cheap. I run them a hour or so then change the oil out and then change them at regular intervals. The first few minutes is when the wear happens and dirt gets stirred up and getting that out is important. CJ

10. Member
    Finally opened up the motor with the new LU on and even on the first run without livewells full, I couldn't get any bow lift at all and it just feels different. Then once loaded it was about the same speed but hole shot was awful. Just feels like the prop has something really wrong, or the gear case is slowing me down.
    This is not a new prop. It’s one I have had for a long time and could always run low to mid 70’s on first run. May still need to wear the gears in to open up all the way, but 68 was best I saw yesterday and that is 4-6 mph slower than I have always run.

11. Member
    Did you get the same lower unit? same gear ratio? Gear wear will have little to 0 effect on top speed unless they are junk. Any metal when you changed the oil? CJ

12. Member
    Yes everything is the same. Except this one is not bent. Little metal on the magnet but nothing that you would not expect. Just picked up my repaired prop, so will find out if it is a prop or lower unit issue next time I go to the lake. Mark is working the prop I had on it last weekend to give me a little more lift.

13. Member
    Your going to get a bit on the magnet esp for the first few changes. I would look at the prop [as you are doing] boat loading or high water/air temps contributing to what you seeing. I know in my experience the heavy Yamaha oil gives me crappy shifting when the water is cold. I have switched over to Amsoil with good results. If we ran a full season with standard lower unit oil it would come out dark in our 300 and my 250, after switching the oil always looks good even when I had a bad plug gasket and water got in. It was milky but no issues with the L/U. CJ

14. Member
    Yes everything is the same. Except this one is not bent. Little metal on the magnet but nothing that you would not expect. Just picked up my repaired prop, so will find out if it is a prop or lower unit issue next time I go to the lake. Mark is working the prop I had on it last weekend to give me a little more lift.
    Sorry to bring this old tread back up but how is your motor and lower unit doing now? I just replaced my 150 Vmax lower unit with a brand new Yamaha one and have notice I’m not reaching the desired rpm and speed and hole shot is a little slower.