Solix DI not a patch on "blended" DI

Well I have to say, I find the Solix dedicated DI crystal far too narrow and almost useless. There are features showing in the water column in SI, which just do not show in DI. I am seriously looking at putting the Helix 12 on the boat to have blended DI or just going back to the helix completely. Alternatively HB could have a menu option of displaying DI from the SI beams on the Solix. The code exists so why not make it an option.
    John

Solix 12, Helix 12, Onix 10

It already exists--I think.
    You can make the SOLIX SI behave like a first generation Helix or number series SI unit by changing the Transducer Setting to 455/800 kHz or just 455 kHz. Turn off Auto Configure.
    Like a first generation SI unit, you won't have the MEGA frequency.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 07-17-2018 at 08:55 AM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I just tried it and it doesn't seem to use composite DI, just limits the frequency choices.

The "code" to do that with an ONIX or SOLIX does not exist. Those units have a different operating system and software than the number series and Helix units.
    I think you can change the Connected Transducer selection with a Helix MEGA SI unit to go back to composite DI by selecting Hi-Def Sidescan or Compact Sidescan.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Thanks Wayne, so you are saying it may be possible to obtained composite DI if you also connect a Hi-Def SI transducer? Oops I think you are saying not possible with Solix
    Last edited by StrikeBack; 07-17-2018 at 09:34 AM.
    John

5. Member
    Also Wayne have you also noticed the very narrow DI on the Solix. I have used the 455 and 800 frequency and it still is very narrow to my eyes at least
    John

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeBack View Post
    Thanks Wayne, so you are saying it may be possible to obtained composite DI if you also connect a Hi-Def SI transducer?
    With a Helix, not a SOLIX.

7. Member
    Has anyone else noticed the narrow Solix DI and if so does HB realise it is a problem and in my opinion a major backward step from the much wider DI generated from SI.
    John

The SOLIX DI would be no different than the ONIX DI, or any other units that are DI models using the same frequency.

1200 kHz would be less coverage than 800 kHz, and 800 kHz would be less coverage than 455 kHz.
    2D sonar is the same, higher frequency=less coverage.

If you want the widest DI coverage with a SOLIX SI unit, use 455 kHz.
    If you want a more focused, higher detail DI image, use 1200 kHz.
    That applies to Side Imaging also.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Yes, Wayne that is known, but have you or anyone noticed that even 455 DI on the Solix or Onix is still a lot more narrow than even 800 on other units and as a result we have a lot less info.
    John

Yes, Wayne that is known, but have you or anyone noticed that even 455 DI on the Solix or Onix is still a lot more narrow than even 800 on other units and as a result we have a lot less info.
    No, I rarely use DI with any models. SI shows the same thing, just more of it and where stuff is.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    Actually I have found that DI shows considerably more and I think anyone who uses DI a lot and switched between DI and SI will in fact agree, DI shows clear images of fish that you do not see in SI. I have proved this time and time again and be clear I am the biggest fan of HB SI since the 998 came out.
    John

12. Banned
    no

13. Member
    I expect there will be a new generation of HB users who will sadly not get to experience the usefulness of DI obtained from the SI beams.
    John

14. Member
    I expect there will be a new generation of HB users who will sadly not get to experience the usefulness of DI obtained from the SI beams.
    Hello, I just came across this HB section and you guys have a ton of great info. Thanks for posting it. Your comment above, is there anywhere that I can do some reading on this? I run a Helix 12 SI and a Helix 10 DI. I was always under the impression that didicated DI was better. I'm trying to locate fish in current tucked in behind boulders and rocks. I started looking into the Airmar transducers and came across this site and found info on the new Solix Mega DI ducers. Any info would be great.

15. Member
    MB can I suggest when you are next on the water just compare the DI on your 12 inch SI Helix and the Helix DI. The thing to observe is in the DI unit can you see all the features that you see in the water column of SI and then what do you also see in the Helix 12 DI view. Yes, the dedicated crystal for DI does give a slightly better image but it is only a very barrow column. The DI on your SI unit will have a wider view and you will clearly see fish which are not always visible in the SI view. Trust me I have looked at these images for thousands of hours on and off the water. And the DI does not show the same info as SI but a different view. DI presents the info in such as way that fish are easy to see and as I said fish that you just cannot see on SI.
    John

16. Member
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to check this out.I haven't used SI out there much but it's something that I want to use more. What is interesting is I run the Helix DI unit chart speed a little faster hoping to stretch out the images so from what you are saying the Helix 12 DI might help me out with this. Am I reading your post right? or are you talking about left to right and thickness of the return.

17. Member
    MB, I expect you will find SI an amazing tool. I now only use SI and DI and no other sonar. DI is extremely useful as most have found. And yes, DI is a left to right representation of what is under the boat. With the Helix you can specify how wide you wand the DI to go. With a dedicated crystal you do not get that option so there will be fish and objects just a little more to the left or right which you will not see in a dedicated crystal DI such as the Helix 10 DI. Try it.
    John

18. Member
    Now that you mention that I've seen that beam setting on the 12 but never played around with it. Thanks for the tips and opening my eyes to what I have.