Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re-rating your bass boat

Maybe someone can give a definitive answer on this. I hear you can apply to have a boat re-rated as far as max horsepower, but have yet to find exactly how this is achieved. The problem is that there is a shortage of motors in the 175-200 range because the new boats are carrying a higher HP rating than the older boats, hence most people will opt for the 225-250. This issue will only get worse and soon you won't be able to sell a used boat with a max of 200hp because there are no motor options if there is a problem unless you buy new. Maybe I am over the edge on this theory, but just try to find an affordable 200 and see. So not to get on too much of a tangent, has anyone had their boat re-rated and how did you go about it?

2. Member
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

The US Coast guard uses a mathematical formula to calculate the boats max HP rating.
    On any boat under 20 ft in length it is required. I have never heard of one being re -rated.

4. Joe4d
    Yeh but I imagine that formula is a MAX, and mfg are free to put a lower rating on the boat.. Just about all the the makers offer exact same hulls rated for different horsepowers,, Like the budget boat will only have a 150 rating but the more expensive boat with more standard options is rated at 200. Although by at least specs like size and weight they appear to be exact same hull.

My boat was rated for 225 and i repowered with a 250. FWC pulled me over one time for a vessel safety check so I told him mine was rated for a 225 and When I bought the boat that had a 250 on it which it didn’t I put that motor on anyways I asked him if that was illegal or if I would have any kind of insurance problems and he said to his understanding any vessel over 20 feet is unlimited horsepower
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

Quote Originally Posted by fishfarm View Post
    My boat was rated for 225 and i repowered with a 250. FWC pulled me over one time for a vessel safety check so I told him mine was rated for a 225 and When I bought the boat that had a 250 on it which it didn’t I put that motor on anyways I asked him if that was illegal or if I would have any kind of insurance problems and he said to his understanding any vessel over 20 feet is unlimited horsepower

That will depend on the insurance company and what the manufacture has rated the boat at. There are only a couple who have a manufacture placard stating "unlimited" It is also against most tournament rules to fish from an over powered boat.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    [/COLOR]..... It is also against most tournament rules to fish from an over powered boat.
    And in some states, it's a criminal offense to re-overpower based on the manufacturer's placard. Same-same to sell or offer for sale an over-powered hull.

Not to mention the liability factor if someone is killed or seriousley injured and that overpowered boat is invloved.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    And in some states, it's a criminal offense to re-overpower based on the manufacturer's placard. Same-same to sell or offer for sale an over-powered hull.
    What states is it illegal.

10. Member
    Where are you seeing this shortage? The trend I see is manufactured beefing up their 150-200 class. Yamaha now makes the SHO down to that range and merc has 2 different 200s out. Plus now with 4 strokes more hp on some models is just a flash away

11. Member
    Thanks for all the replies! As far as I know, you are all correct as far as the manufacturer ratings and how they work. As well as the insurance problems it can cause. Also, my point of shortage refers to the used motor market. There are a ton of older boats out there owned by individuals like myself who cannot afford a brand new motor, and many older motors are not going to be able to be rebuilt as parts are no longer going to be available. This trend unfortunately will be taking a lot of anglers out of the game in the upcoming years, unless one is willing to take out a second mortgage on a new rig! It's all just something to ponder I suppose!

12. Member
    A number of years ago I asked my insurance agent about overpowering a boat and he
    said as long as it was not 'excessive', his experience was that as far as insurance
    was concerned, it had never been a problem. At the time, I was considering a 135
    on my rated for 130 boat, but decided a couple of miles per hour was not worth
    always looking over my shoulder. It does appear somewhat arbitrary what the boat
    manufacturers put on their boats for max hp, as they often are less than the coast guard formula.
    Also interesting how magic that 20' length is ...
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

13. Member
    We do not have a law that prohibits over powering boats in Canada. In fact our placards read as "recommended maximum safe limits". When calling for insurance
    I found out my home insurance carrier would not insure an over powered boat but any other marine specific carrier had no problems insuring.

I'd say if you have no state or federal laws that prohibit your from over powering and you can get proper insurance then put whatever you want on it.

Should have asked the insurance side of the question on the insurance board. Years ago I had a boat rated for 180 HP. I wanted to re-power it with a 200 HP. The insurance agent I had at that time said if there was a claim, the insurance company would fight the claim and probably win in court.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac828 View Post
    Maybe someone can give a definitive answer on this. I hear you can apply to have a boat re-rated as far as max horsepower, but have yet to find exactly how this is achieved. The problem is that there is a shortage of motors in the 175-200 range because the new boats are carrying a higher HP rating than the older boats, hence most people will opt for the 225-250. This issue will only get worse and soon you won't be able to sell a used boat with a max of 200hp because there are no motor options if there is a problem unless you buy new. Maybe I am over the edge on this theory, but just try to find an affordable 200 and see. So not to get on too much of a tangent, has anyone had their boat re-rated and how did you go about it?
    A couple years ago it was the opposite (I was told). I purchase a new 175 Pro XS and was told he could get it in the next day (and he did) because everyone was wanting the bigger motors there were plenty of 175's and 200's sitting around.

Have a good one and thank God for it!

16. Member
    Don't know if it's true or not but i have always read and heard that the Motor companies can have a 10 per cent variance, i don't know how you would check that but it seems to me that if you bought a 225 that was on the low end you would be close. As far as insurance coming after you wouldn't they also have to prove that the bigger motor was actually over powered and not just go off what the decal said.

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Don't know if it's true or not but i have always read and heard that the Motor companies can have a 10 per cent variance, i don't know how you would check that but it seems to me that if you bought a 225 that was on the low end you would be close. As far as insurance coming after you wouldn't they also have to prove that the bigger motor was actually over powered and not just go off what the decal said.
    The 10 % is true and some even fudge on that.
    But good luck with the rest of it..

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    What states is it illegal.
    Oklahoma it is illegal

19. Banned
    **********I HEARBY "RE-RATE" MY BOAT HP LIMIT TO 350HP!**********

Attached Images Attached Images

20. Member
    Quick Google search showed that it is illegal to overpower a boat in Montana. I know others where it is not but the insurance issues still remain.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast