Nrx 894 & nrx 895

I haven't fished either rod so looking for some help. I fish in Minnesota and looking for a rod to fish some pads and heavier cover here, so it's not Florida but still can get thick. I'd like the rod to be able to handle punching and didn't know if the 894 had that or if I'd have to move up to the 895. Also, I have a couple other rods in the lineup so would like to stick there, but if anyone has used some of the tatula elite rods and thinks one of those is a better bet please let me know. Thanks for the help guys.

2. Banned
    For punching the Nrx umbrella rig rod is the deal

3. Member
    Keep hearing this about the NRX 916C and i'm beginning to feel like i might be missing out. Can this rod handle 1.5oz to 2.0oz in thick hyrilla? Is it tip heavy at all?

Quote Originally Posted by soulfisher View Post
    Keep hearing this about the NRX 916C and i'm beginning to feel like i might be missing out. Can this rod handle 1.5oz to 2.0oz in thick hyrilla? Is it tip heavy at all?
    It can easily handle those weights in thick nasty stuff. Some folks find it too powerful for punching, but some folks love it. It is a little bit tip heavy, yes.

To the OP - the 894 isn't powerful enough for punching 1 oz in my hands. The 895 can do it, but it's extremely tip heavy.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    It can easily handle those weights in thick nasty stuff. Some folks find it too powerful for punching, but some folks love it. It is a little bit tip heavy, yes.

To the OP - the 894 isn't powerful enough for punching 1 oz in my hands. The 895 can do it, but it's extremely tip heavy.
    Thank you, the weights I use most often are the 1 oz variety. Sometimes 3/4 and sometimes 1-1/4, but nothing over that. Trying to find the right stick for basically the 1 oz as that's what I use 90% of the time.

Don't overlook the GLX FPR (Flip Punch Rods) either. While not an NRX, they were specifically designed for punching duties and the 894 FPR may be a really good option for your situation. The Tackle Trap has them and gives BBC members a good deal on Loomis all the time, PM if I can help out.

7. Member
    Yes I agree that the GLX FPR shouldn't be overlooked for the OP. I just got a couple 894 GLX FPR rods and I would believe it to be a great rod the 1oz range. I don't have any time on the water with it yet, but it seems to have way more back bone than the comparable JWR 4power rating of either the NRX or GLX. Compared to older models FPR, the tip is also lighter and feels better balanced overall.

8. Member
    What about conquest 905?

9. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    For what? I've got a 905, love it.

As Gary mentioned above, the 895 NRX I used to own was super tip heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Landar View Post
    What about conquest 905?

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

Quote Originally Posted by Landar View Post
    What about conquest 905?
    As a punching rod, the Conquest 905 is a better choice than either the 916 UBR or the 895 NRX in my opinion.

11. Member
    I fish 894's 90% of the time and do at times use total weight rigs up to 1oz. I also fish Lake Okeechobee 90% of the time. so the 894 does almost everything I need even on a heavily vegetated lake yet is fun to fish.

But, If I have to put on a +1oz sinker, hook and trailer to catch them then I like not only more power but I would argue a longer rod. The longest I have is 7'9 but 8 would be even better.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947