Trim gauge not working after new cable install

1996 Mercury 225 EFI SN: OG337051

My aftermarket analog Livorsi trim gauge is not working after I installed new throttle and shift cables. The needle shows up about half way in the gauge face when the key is off, when you turn the key on...the needle pegs all the way to the top or up position and will not move when the trim is moved up or down.

Did I mess something up? I'm selling the boat so need to get this fixed.

Thanks

2. Member
    Anybody have ANY clue where I can start to fix this?
    I don't think it's a gauge problem...more like the sender maybe??

3. Banned
    I know this isn't what you want to hear but... Pull the trim gauge and throw it in the trash... Water pressure, RPM and gas are the only gauges you need... When I got my first Bullet I asked my dealer why no trim gauge. His response was "your ass will tell you when you've got it right". Took a couple months, he dead on right. You'll feel the hull break free... Put a clock in there, it'll be right twice a day... Dan

4. Member
    Check the electrical connections for the trim sending unit.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1 to Savage's comment. You will likely find that the brown w/white stripe wire is shorted to ground somewhere.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor