Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What 150 hp on New boat

Considering a new ranger 198p. I have had good luck with Evinrude, Yamaha, Suzuki and Merc and am not set on one motor. Which 150 hp motor would you get on this boat and why? I think we have a lot of great choices at the 150hp size. Let me know your thoughts

I would buy the brand that has good service close by should you ever need it. That is why I went with Mercury. Finding someone to work on an Evinrude in my area is almost impossible.

3. Member
    I am fortunate to have a master/trusted mechanic for the 4 brands I mentioned close so that’s not as much of an issue.

4. Banned
    No losers here. The very best deals on motors are when they are ordered thru the boat manufacturer and bought in bulk. See which is the least expensive. I own a F150 but would be proud to own a 150 F/S.

5. Banned
    REALLY liking my Suzuki!

6. Member
    Love my Yamaha SHO
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250 Yamaha HPDI

I have loved my four stroke Yamaha.
    I have said that I did not think I would ever buy another two stroke motor...

BUT....I think I am seeing a Ten Year Factory Warranty with Evinrude right now. Ten years.... Wow.

At my age, it could be the last motor I ever buy and having it under full factory warranty for ten years would be very tempting ------ IF I had a good Evinrude service department nearby. I am not saying I would buy one - but that warranty is available until the end of July and it would be VERY tempting. Ten years is a long time. If the install price was decent, logic would tell me it would be hard to ignore.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

8. Member
    I've owned nothing but Yamaha for the last ten years. I've yet to have a single problem with any of them. My vote is Yamaha.

However, after reading Panama's post about a 10 year Factory Warranty on Evinrude motors, I would at least give them some consideration.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

After watching a side by side comparison of Yamaha's F200 and the Evinrude 150 G2 I would say the Rude would be the way to go. The Rude just flat out performed the F200 and when you couple that with the Rude warranty that to me would be a hard deal not to take.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 ProXS 4Stroke Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 21P
    Minn Kota 80lb Thrust Ultrex.
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Humminbird Helix 10 DI G4N W/FFS @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 DI G4N @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 SI G4N @ Console
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

10. Member
    The evinrude G2 HO is a really nice sounding option with the 10 year warranty. Any worry since they are the last 2 stroke motor now?

11. Member
    HONDA!!!

12. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    If ‘Rude is going to warranty the motor for ten full years I wouldn’t worry about the fact it’s a 2 stroke. My 90 Etec surely doesn’t eat gas or oil like any 2 stroke I’ve ever owned! I think the 150 H.O. Would make you very happy!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Good choices all around. All will be very reliable and perform well. Something to consider with tin boats is weight. Outboard weight is very important factor. Do you want to add a jack plate or add power poles or talons. All of these will effect how the boat sits at rest and performs. Myself i like lightweight as possible:
    Mercury 150 pro xs 4 stroke-456
    Yamaha f150-478
    Honda 150-478
    Evinrude etec g2-496

The etec warranty is nice but its heavy in comparison to the others nearing 500 lbs. there are 175 and 200-300 hp motors out there now near that weight. Something to consider.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

14. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    If weight is an issue how could you not be happy with the Mercury Pro XS 4S 150? Helluva motor!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

15. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    All good choices...
    Proximity and reputation of a service dept are a key factor.

After test driving the G2, it was a done deal, impressive motor!
    My dealership has a platinum service rating, is ~ 2 hours (reasonable for me) away and how can you beat the 10 year warranty. If you are thinking G2, make sure the warranty terms are acceptable to you. The G2 is easy on gas and oil, and you can get deals on the XD-100 online. I paid $90 for a 3 gallon pack through Domo online and am still on my 1st gallon...

Good luck.

You can PM me for additional info if you want.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

16. Joe4d
    If service is nearby the HO evinrude, followed by Yammi Sho, then merc. The 10 years sounds good till you look at the price. The Evinrdes are several thousand higher, same money added to a Merc or Yahmmi will almost get you that much warranty. But the G2 is still a pretty nice engine. Unfortunately no dealers in my area that sell the boats I want.. So be a merc on a Triton most likely.. for me

17. Member
    A lot of great thoughts. The new Merc 150 pro xs seems like the best option between cost, weight and power. Makes it hard to beat. I have the regular merc 150 4s on a boat and it’s been outstanding. Wish they had a shorter lead time. Now I need to decide when I order the boat. 8-12 weeks to get that motor puts me into fall

18. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by icebound View Post
    A lot of great thoughts. The new Merc 150 pro xs seems like the best option between cost, weight and power. Makes it hard to beat. I have the regular merc 150 4s on a boat and it’s been outstanding. Wish they had a shorter lead time. Now I need to decide when I order the boat. 8-12 weeks to get that motor puts me into fall
    Sure would be nice to test drive one first, but that doesn't appear to be an option...? I bought my 2018 on Sept 26 last year and they made me a really good deal...

Just my 2 cents worth.

BTW - the weight of my G2 is a non-issue. The boat sits and fishes nice and flat and is very stable.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

19. Member
    I think the G2 is a great match for this boat. It might be a 2 stroke but it doesn't run like one. It's quiet until you pin it and a nice growl is there. No smoke, sips gas and oil and no break in is nice.

Oh yeah, and the 10 year warrany

20. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by javjoe View Post
    I think the G2 is a great match for this boat. It might be a 2 stroke but it doesn't run like one. It's quiet until you pin it and a nice growl is there. No smoke, sips gas and oil and no break in is nice.

Oh yeah, and the 10 year warrany
    Yea, and what self-respecting fisherman doesn't like the smell of 2 stroke in the morning....!

2S will out perform a 4S any day of the week, period!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast