Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Take it offline or start another thread, guys. The OP is not looking for another tournament format. Thanks. — JC
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

2. Banned
    If you press again livewells go to continuous...instead of high or low....much better in warm water

3. Member
    Oxygenators do create heat. I usually only turn mine on when running from spot to spot. G-Juice is the only additive you should use with the oxygenator. When I put my 3rd fish in the livewell, pumps go on manual and run all day. I use ice and the G-Juice, set the livewell on auto, plug the overflow. Works for me.
    Pimpin' ain't easy, but it's necessary.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Take it offline or start another thread, guys. The OP is not looking for another tournament format. Thanks. — JC
    Sorry John. Not trying to change the thread. Just trying to point out a workable solution to livewell issues. I did not bring up or want to imply that tournament fisherman would cheat.

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC519VX View Post
    Oxygenators do create heat. I usually only turn mine on when running from spot to spot. G-Juice is the only additive you should use with the oxygenator. When I put my 3rd fish in the livewell, pumps go on manual and run all day. I use ice and the G-Juice, set the livewell on auto, plug the overflow. Works for me.
    Your “auto” must not be everyone’s auto, because setting my livewell on auto and plugging the overflow would irrigate the rear deck within a few minutes. Setting it to “recirc” and plugging the overflow, on the other hand, is an excellent strategy after adding ice and G Juice.

6. Banned
    My live well floods on recirc?

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdawg View Post
    My live well floods on recirc?
    No, only on auto, which means “fill,” and only then when the overflow is plugged. Trying to get labels and terminology straight here. But as we know, labels/terminology can change over time, so it’s important to note which models (like current models) we are talking about.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC519VX View Post
    Good point on the oxygenator creating heat. I hadn't considered that. But closing the system off and depending on additive and aeration never worked as well for me as continually refreshing the water. I think my biggest mistake, in this case, was the combination of PRM and the Oxygenator. Lesson learned and not to be repeated.

Next time out I'll set her to auto a run her on H and see how that goes. If that looks problematic I'll switch to manual (always on).

Still considering adding a pipe to the overflow to raise the water level. But I'm having a really hard time finding something to fit the overflow. If anyone knows of pipe or tubing with an O.D. that fits snugly in the overflow I'd appreciate that info.

9. Member
    One thing to consider when you do recirculate is water will empty out the overflow valve when it takes you a long time to get on plane. I have this issue in the summer, probably need a different prop here in the south during the summer months. When I fish tournaments I typically fill the livewell on auto with the overflow valve plugged. Once it gets to the desired level I turn the oxygenator on and switch the valve to recirculate. I add ice and g-juice to remove the chlorine from the water. Some others have mentioned this too.

I will also add that when the livewell is almost completely full I notice the fish are less beat up in rough water. It does make one of my dry boxes wet which is a little frustrating.
    Joey Aderhold

10. Member
    those floating Pool noodles in the live well also helps prevent the fish from getting beat up. Just a little padding a the top makes a difference (or so I've been told and have read but haven't tried it yet.)

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCFring View Post
    those floating Pool noodles in the live well also helps prevent the fish from getting beat up. Just a little padding a the top makes a difference (or so I've been told and have read but haven't tried it yet.)
    I've been thinking about trying something like those myself.

12. Member
    Here's what I've decided to try. Should raise the level about 2 inches. We'll see how that works out and adjust accordingly. Another option that I might try, in order to prevent the loss of water when planing off, is to use the tubing to "move" the overflow to the front of the livewell instead of the back. But I'll try this method first.

13. Member
    I did that exact same thing on my 2005 520vx. Works fine. I did the elbow with open end so the overflow still works but the level is higher. Mostly only need to set it at 45* angle and it’s sufficient.
    Last edited by rfdong; 07-25-2018 at 06:24 PM.
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

14. Member
    What was your parts list, this looks like a hell of an idea

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beallright View Post
    What was your parts list, this looks like a hell of an idea
    I got everything from McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com).

The tubing is 11/16" I.D. 15/16" O.D. I ordered a 10ft' piece of it, but obviously you don't need that much. The part # for this was 5231K944.

The elbow was for 3/4" tubing. Part number 53055K502

Hopefully this won't impair the systems ability to aerate. If it does I'll just "move" the overflow to the front using the tubing.
    Last edited by Whistler; 07-25-2018 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    I was thinking of trying to raise the water level in my livewell by inserting a pipe with an elbow and another short piece of pipe into the overflow. Anyone ever done that? Did it cause any issues?

I'm coming from a Triton and I'm having a hard time with the shallow Ranger livewells.

Here's what I've decided to try. Should raise the level about 2 inches. We'll see how that works out and adjust accordingly. Another option that I might try, in order to prevent the loss of water when planing off, is to use the tubing to "move" the overflow to the front of the livewell instead of the back. But I'll try this method first.

I did this on my 2003 521vx. Added a couple more inches and worked great.

I like the idea of a 90 deg elbow, but why would the water inlet be right next to the outlet? Just seems to me that fresh water would be more inclined to be vented out. My outlet is on the opposite side of the live well....do tell how it works out.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    I like the idea of a 90 deg elbow, but why would the water inlet be right next to the outlet? Just seems to me that fresh water would be more inclined to be vented out. My outlet is on the opposite side of the live well....do tell how it works out.
    Got out today and tested this out and it seemed to work great. It may not be necessary, but that little bit of additional water sure makes me feel better :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12