Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs Up Anybody running a 200 on a newer Eyra?

Am still leaning hard towards ordering a P2 with the new Merc 200 v-8 but after looking back at some of my earlier threads saw that BCB had mentioned possibly going with the Eyra with a 200 instead.
    I was wondering if anyone was running this combo and what they thought of it .

I don't plan on getting power poles/talons nor a 36v trolling set up .Will go tandem trailer and mid-grade electronics to start .

Would the Eyra be ridiculously more than a P2 with all this in mind or would I be looking at maybe 5-8 K more?

Only other possible big $ option would be going with the vinyl ester (?) Upgrade option in the P2, since whichever boat I get would be a one and done deal.

Any thoughts on this quandary of mine are sincerely appreciated .

2. Member
    Your looking a one boat with max recommended HP(P2) and the other with the minimum HP. The standard answer is go with the maximum HP.

Ive only seen a few 200 hp eyras. I know Ron Pierce had a cool looking one with a single axle trailer. It was a burgandy/ gold color. I think if you search on face book you will find it, I believe it was a low 60s cruiser. Heres a link to one with a 200 sho. I would think it would be comparable to the new pro xs 200 v8. https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bass...7.html#p108694

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=33073

2010 Eyra and Yamaha 200 SHO
    June 22 2010 - Temp 82 to 88 degrees

3300 RPM - 35.1 MPH @ 7.6 GPH (gallons per hour)

3800 RPM - 40.0 MPH @ 9.1GPH

4200 RPM -50.2 MPH @ 11.3gph - Down wind with a breeze
    (Numbers from here on are noted with wind direction - breeze was only a few MPH this day, no real chop)

4300 RPM - 50.2 MPH @ 11.4gph - < Head wind

4400 RPM - 54.6 MPH @ 12.4gph - > Down Wind

4600 RPM - 58.0 MPH @ 13.3gph - < Head Wind

4700 RPM - 60.2 MPH @ 13.5gph - > Down wind

4900 RPM - 61.6 MPH @ 14.8gph - < Head Wind

5000 RPM - 63.6 MPH @ 15.0gph - < Head Wind

5100 RPM - 64.5 MPH @ 14.5gph - > Down Wind

5500 RPM - 70.3 MPH @ 18.2gph - < Head Wind / With livewell water

5600 RPM - 70.8 MPH @ 18.2gph - < Head Wind

5700 RPM - 72.3 MPH @ 18.3gph - No Wind, no chop slight, slight breeze chipping water surface
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

Oh I would think the eyra/200 would be a good 10k more than a p2 due to jumping into the premium line.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

5. Member
    I do understand that I'm looking max hp P2 vs min hp Eyra, however in a boat w/o PP's and the torque/holeshot of the new V-8 200 Pro XS, I'm thinking the overall performance won't be too different between the two. Add in the fact that I'm sure the new Pro xs will be able to be chipped/reprogrammed once out of warranty (like the SHO is able to) then I could always get it to 225/250 horses with very little modification if need be. The 72.3 mph posted above is about what I would expect with the Eyra set-up, with the P2 maybe pushing 74, apples to apples. Now is the Eyra a handful to drive (properly set-up) at that 72 vs the P2 at 74? That is a seperate question as well, I guess.
    Just trying to figure out the best boat set-up for me for the long run. Will be fishing Upstate SC (Hartwell, Keowe, Russell, Clarks Hill,Santee-Cooper) with occassional trips to Eufaula, Seminole,The Hooch, Lanier and maybe even Guntersville, Lake Martin (Lakes I grew up fishing a million years ago with my pop).

Also should add while I like the Caracal, I'm not in need of a wide boat for my needs. And after riding in both at the Classic this year I came away much more impressed with the Eyra. JMHO

6. Member
    The Eyra launched as a bridge boat for any motor from 200 to 250 so you should be fine hanging any of them off the back. Ultimately you should by what fits your needs and budget the best, especially if you are planning on keeping her long term. If you were planning on selling her in a few years you may be limiting your buyers with the 200 on the Eyra for most would be expecting a 250. The Eyra is definitely their sharpest looking model. Good luck and post some pics of when you get your dream rig.
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma
    2012 250 hp Mercury ProXS
    Family Boat - 2011 Key West 189FS w/ Yamaha F115TX
    Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 D/A SRW LB CC
    RV- 2012 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity (named E-Pod)

http://BassCat.com
    Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTimbo View Post
    The 72.3 mph posted above is about what I would expect with the Eyra set-up, with the P2 maybe pushing 74, apples to apples. Now is the Eyra a handful to drive (properly set-up) at that 72 vs the P2 at 74? That is a seperate question as well, I guess.
    Just trying to figure out the best boat set-up for me for the long run. Will be fishing Upstate SC (Hartwell, Keowe, Russell, Clarks Hill,Santee-Cooper) with occassional trips to Eufaula, Seminole,The Hooch, Lanier and maybe even Guntersville, Lake Martin (Lakes I grew up fishing a million years ago with my pop).

Also should add while I like the Caracal, I'm not in need of a wide boat for my needs. And after riding in both at the Classic this year I came away much more impressed with the Eyra. JMHO
    To answer the P2 question, The P2 can be a handful @ 72-74 mph. That is exactly what mine runs depending on the heat and load. At worse mid summer, livewells full, 40+gallons of fuel, loaded with just me 72 and change. Also have 2 power poles. Great running boat and super good on fuel consumption. rpm and speed numbers are very similar to what is posted above on the eyra. I'm seeing slightly better speed vs rpms but not enough to worry about.

8. Member
    What’s the cost saving 200 vs 250 ? I don’t think that’s a too bad a move for some people. Not everyone wants a 250. I’ve run a lot of 20 ft champions with 200 on them and never had a problem selling one.

9. Member
    **Sticker prices**
    200 proxs 4stroke: $13,010
    250 proxs 4stroke: $16,495

Obviously differences if you move up to digital controls and whatever other choices might be available (black vs white), but that's what Jaco's is showing on their site.
    Ben

Add in the fact that I'm sure the new Pro xs will be able to be chipped/reprogrammed once out of warranty (like the SHO is able to) then I could always get it to 225/250 horses with very little modification if need be.
    I would not be too sure on the above point. Mercury has never been one for allowing their motors to be flashed. Look at all the 3.0L ProXS and Optis. They all had different porting and many other differences that prevented changing the HP. The Japanese are more centered on manufacturing efficiencies using all the same blocks on their SHOs. Mercury’s history is just the opposite.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

11. Member
    Thanks Ben

12. Member
    I wasn't aware of this, but if true that would definitely come into play in my decision.
    I do know that the P2 is capable of great speed with some mods to a SHO (JRisco I'm talking to you LOL) but if there was the ability to bump up the hp for just a bit more change vs the 4k difference to order it with a 250 or 3-4 K for the 200 SHO than that might alter my plan a bit.

It'll be interesting to see if the Mercs are flashable, if they aren't I really believe it will hurt their sales, albeit slightly so they may not care.

I have ridden in an Erya and it is similar to the ride of the PII, better cause of the length, but the overall feel and handling is close. If I had to pick between the 2 now I would choose the Eyra. Don't take that the wrong way thou, the PII is a badass rig, just would like a little better ride in the rough stuff.

Timbo, if you want to get some water time in a PII drop me a line
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

14. Member
    I wasn't aware of this, but if true that would definitely come into play in my decision.
    I do know that the P2 is capable of great speed with some mods to a SHO (JRisco I'm talking to you LOL) but if there was the ability to bump up the hp for just a bit more change vs the 4k difference to order it with a 250 or 3-4 K for the 200 SHO than that might alter my plan a bit.

You may want to make sure on the price of a 200 sho + flash and premium fuel only (I think) vs the new 250 merc. Price difference may not be that much. Also check the extended warranty pricing. I have all I want on a p2 with a 200. If I went with an Eyra, 225 would be the minimum I'd go with. I can't wait for the numbers on the p2's with the new merc 200. If similar to the opti that will be a nice combo. I do prefer to have an engine at the low hp end of the same block.

Do you have to have a new boat? There are a lot of 1-2 year old Puma, Cougars and Eyras out there with plenty of warranty remaining. That is what I did and am very happy. I went from a 2010 PII to a 2016 Cougar. The ride is much better in the Cougar than the PII. I loved the ride of the PII and was surprised by the Cougar!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

16. Member
    Timbo, if you want to get some water time in a PII drop me a line [/QUOTE]

Yeah John, still plan on taking you up on that ride offer. Hopefully we can get together in the next couple of weeks to do that and help me get some more info to make that upcoming decision.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Do you have to have a new boat? There are a lot of 1-2 year old Puma, Cougars and Eyras out there with plenty of warranty remaining. That is what I did and am very happy. I went from a 2010 PII to a 2016 Cougar. The ride is much better in the Cougar than the PII. I loved the ride of the PII and was surprised by the Cougar!

Have to...no.
    But I have been waiting to do this for some 20-odd years . Something always got in the way of making it happen (i.e. ridiculous child support , etc) so since I'm going to do this I really want to do my desired boat/color combo and have it just like I want, since it's a one and done deal. Retirement is just over the horizon, so want this to be the forever boat, if there is such a thing LOL

Not to mention I have been waiting for a couple years to see what the P-Classic was going to be and for the Merc Four stroke in the 200 plus class. So now that they are both out there it's finally time to get this done.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I would not be too sure on the above point. Mercury has never been one for allowing their motors to be flashed. Look at all the 3.0L ProXS and Optis. They all had different porting and many other differences that prevented changing the HP. The Japanese are more centered on manufacturing efficiencies using all the same blocks on their SHOs. Mercury’s history is just the opposite.
    False to an extent. Simon can flash A PXS. They just can't be flashed to the same hp as a Sho.

Fwiw....ill bet my nuts a 250 sho that is flashed to a 300...isnt really 300 true up. If you diddle w race cars, hipo motors...you know it's pretty dang tuff to get 50 true ponies from just fuel curve/timing changes. Possible? Yes. Likely?

Quote Originally Posted by FastBird View Post
    False to an extent. Simon can flash A PXS. They just can't be flashed to the same hp as a Sho.

Fwiw....ill bet my nuts a 250 sho that is flashed to a 300...isnt really 300 true up. If you diddle w race cars, hipo motors...you know it's pretty dang tuff to get 50 true ponies from just fuel curve/timing changes. Possible? Yes. Likely?
    Dyno results have proven they are actually over 300... by a good bit
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Dyno results have proven they are actually over 300... by a good bit
    Dynos are easily manipulateable. So...i wouldn't consider that "proven". Actual performance is only way to "know".

I'll put it this way...show me an automobile tuner that will give an honest 50 hp on a non power adder combo...Yes I can read claims/advertisements...I mean drag strip (where hp gains are measured by mph) actual 50 hp gain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast