Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBird View Post
    Dynos are easily manipulateable. So...i wouldn't consider that "proven". Actual performance is only to "know".

I'll put it this way...show me an auto tuner that will you an honest 50 hp on a non power after combo...
    Ok in that case I know that a gain of approx 12mph was made... at the traditionally accepted formula of 10hp=1mph would mean that a flashed 200 SHO gained approx 120hp... Which would put it over 300.

Also, the dyno results were from Hydro Tec,
    Who have an awesome reputation and it's doubtful they manipulated any results. Just my observations and opinions
    Last edited by J Risco; 07-17-2018 at 03:57 PM.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

Of course you CAN flash a Mercury but two guys that I know personally and everyone that I can recall reading on the Mercury boards is that there was really no gain and would not do it again.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTimbo View Post
    Have to...no.
    But I have been waiting to do this for some 20-odd years . Something always got in the way of making it happen (i.e. ridiculous child support , etc) so since I'm going to do this I really want to do my desired boat/color combo and have it just like I want, since it's a one and done deal. Retirement is just over the horizon, so want this to be the forever boat, if there is such a thing LOL

Not to mention I have been waiting for a couple years to see what the P-Classic was going to be and for the Merc Four stroke in the 200 plus class. So now that they are both out there it's finally time to get this done.
    Being this thread has got off your original post, If this is your retirement boat, get what you want. I personally believe you would be happier with the Eyra and a SHO 225 (if a YAMA is a must). You would get a better balance of hole shot and speed/performance. I think a 200 would leave you wanting for more, especially out the hole. Make this buy count!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

4. Member
    I have a 2011 Eyra with a 200 ProXS. I bought the boat from a close friend who originally ordered it shortly after the boat Ron Pierce had which was referenced above, and is also on a single axle trailer. There is only 1 other Eyra 200 ProXS combo I have seen mentioned online, but a member on the Basscat forum had one of the first Eyra's with a 200 SHO that you could find a lot of information on if you search that forum for Flyswatter. He later replaced the 200 with a 250 SHO so keep digging if that is all the info you see.

As for my experience, it is a realistic 70mph boat in a tournament setup. I run a 25p Fury 3 blade(note only 5500rpm max on my 200), 3 31 series agms, no poles, 36V motorguide tour. In the winter it is a 72+ boat but I typically run a lighter tackle load that time of year. Reasonable summer speed is 70-72 and I would expect anyone to repeat that performance. Worst case with 3 people, lots of tackle, full wells and fuel is 66-67 in heat of summer. Holeshot leaves no concerns.

I primarily fish Erie and the Detroit river, so it fits my needs perfectly as WOT opportunities rarely present themselves. I really believe not many people would notice a difference in overall enjoyment except on the very top end. Would I prefer a 250 and probably order 1 on my next boat, yes, but I haven't had a situation that I thought the 200 was out of place.

If the boat is a forever, and resale is no issue,and the price difference from a 250 makes it doable, then I wouldn't hesitate to go ahead with the 200, it really is a good package.

The Eyra is a solid rig with a 200 and the new four stroke will be better than the 2 Stroke on hole shot. We have sold s3veral and often they are not online individuals. They will make a great boat for younger angler’s with more room and length than the 19’ segment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    The Eyra is a solid rig with a 200 and the new four stroke will be better than the 2 Stroke on hole shot. We have sold s3veral and often they are not online individuals. They will make a great boat for younger angler’s with more room and length than the 19’ segment.
    What other areas could funds be saved on when ordering a premium boat? Other than base engine and single axle trailer. I know the standard equipment on them sets the pricing, just wondering if theres any where else someone could cut some costs
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

7. Member

From a little research it seems that the 225 Pro XS is only about a grand different from the 200 Pro XS vs stepping up another $3,500 or more to get the 250 Pro XS. This could make the decision a bit easier as that would put the Eyra probably around 75/76 mph. While I know price increases are a necessary evil, I feel this latest one puts the P2, other than completely stripped, over 50k, which I think will both hurt sales of the P2 while increasing sales of the Classic, for those that don’t look to other brands.

That is, of course, unless you guys make a sweet Spring special for 2019 :)

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTimbo View Post
    From a little research it seems that the 225 Pro XS is only about a grand different from the 200 Pro XS vs stepping up another $3,500 or more to get the 250 Pro XS. This could make the decision a bit easier as that would put the Eyra probably around 75/76 mph. While I know price increases are a necessary evil, I feel this latest one puts the P2, other than completely stripped, over 50k, which I think will both hurt sales of the P2 while increasing sales of the Classic, for those that don’t look to other brands.

That is, of course, unless you guys make a sweet Spring special for 2019 :)
    Actually, the Classic if comparatively optioned to the PII is not much cheaper. With the option of the upgraded Advantage series live wells, cap color options, better seats I don't see the PII going anywhere.
    I do believe its in need of an update. I always said throw the Eyra cap on the PII hull, and they wont be able to keep up with orders. A 19 foot Eyra/PII would be genius (but keep it in the Advantage series build). Side scoops and all!
    Having owned a 2014 Eyra and now a 2016 PII, They fish (deck wise / TM response) very much alike, with the Eyra having the better layout. If you look at the deck measurements they are also very close. Classic is wider than both.
    I will say, if you are going to go with a 200 on the Eyra, don't add power poles, and keep the TM 24 volts. The lighter rear end will make the boat much more responsive with the right prop.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

The Eyra is not price sequentially to the MSRP on the engines with a 200, 225 and 250. They price them at different levels to support the buying contingency which would prefer those engines and make the product closer in range to the Pantera II and Pantera Classic. This makes the Eyra and 200 and excellent choice in comparing the 19’ segment to the 20’ segment.

As said in the original introduction, the Eyra is a “bridge” model that bridges hit performance markets to a true bass model, and bridges horsepower to those that don’t need a 250 engine. It makes a great college boat with a 200 for those that want to be more conservative for younger adult family members.

It also makes a great retirement boat for those looking to just go fishing with more comfort.

BCB

10. Banned
    Dynos are easily manipulateable. So...i wouldn't consider that "proven". Actual performance is only way to "know".

I'll put it this way...show me an automobile tuner that will give an honest 50 hp on a non power adder combo...Yes I can read claims/advertisements...I mean drag strip (where hp gains are measured by mph) actual 50 hp gain.
    I understand what you're saying as I come from automotive performance background, but the electronic throttle body on the lower output SHOs doesn't open fully essentially acting as throttle stop or restrictor plate limiting the amount of airflow allowed to enter. So if you tune it to open more, then you could see the gains unlike in the automotive industry. I'm curious if the new 4-stroke 200-300hp pro XS Mercs aren't the same as that would be the cheapest way to produce sharing parts.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=699872
    https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...vs-f250-2.html
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=690372
    https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...sho-200-a.html
    Last edited by Wheelman; 07-21-2018 at 12:52 AM.

11. Member
    I always said throw the Eyra cap on the PII hull, and they wont be able to keep up with orders. A 19 foot Eyra/PII would be genius (but keep it in the Advantage series build). Side scoops and all!
    Having owned a 2014 Eyra and now a 2016 PII, They fish (deck wise / TM response) very much alike, with the Eyra having the better layout. If you look at the deck measurements they are also very close. Classic is wider than both.
    I will say, if you are going to go with a 200 on the Eyra, don't add power poles, and keep the TM 24 volts. The lighter rear end will make the boat much more responsive with the right prop.

My thoughts exactly .

I absolutely love the layout of the Eyra. And obviously the P2 is a benchmark performance wise for the 19 ft segment. A P2 with an Eyra layout would be my perfect boat, but I don
    't think I can hold out for it to possibly happen. I don't need an 80 mph boat but realistically I desire a 74/75 mph boat which is,in the real world, faster than 80-85% of boats in tourneys not running wrapped sponsor boats. (Or 250up Basscats ) LOL
    Will just have to contact dealers and compare the OFF pricing on the two and see where I'm at I reckon.

Alright, you can make several nice changes to a package and also not extend on the equipment. This post has brought up some comments on and off the boards. Some of this is not just in the Eyra model.

1. Width on the trailer frame can be narrowed from 102” for narrow garages on all models. These are custom build trailers and the boat does raise requiring deeping vehicles at the launch, though not more than some brands that are forced to carry hulls higher.

2. You can get drop back tongues for maximizing fold back on tongues for storage on short garages.

3. The jackplate can be the 3” manual or 4” hydraulic to reduce storage length in shorter garages. The 4” does present some tilt clearance challenges requiring a stop on tilt/trim for sone engines.

4. The single axle trailer is available on the Eyra and it is a custom build with higher rated tires also. The tires don’t really improve our expectations on durability, though the load ratings are higher. It will save a few bucks.

5. Watch equipment and keep graphs to minimum. Use Christmas and Birthdays as opportunities to upgrade as graphs and technology develops. The Standard Helix 7 models are fine for the bow and the dash model.

6. The dash can be upgraded to a full Helix 7 mapping unit which holds map cards, and it is NMEA also for accurate digital outputs. You can also move to Lowrance as a dash unit and gain more versatile NMEA readings. The NMEA Output is gained through either and A to D converter or the Mercury Monitor output. That requires an upgrade on the Mercury Monitor.

7. Stay 24 volt trolling motor and go light. Keep batteries to 27 series on trolling motor and the boat will come with the Pro Guide AGM 31 for cranking standard.

8. Weigh options on the gauges you need or want. Standard analog worked fine for years, though need is what we would base any $400 upgrade on.

9. Grab Post on the trailer are one area we would suggest for improved safety when boarding. Bass Cat started the first pivot tongue decades ago, then the Grab Post option on the trailer followed soon after.

Staying stock is nice, though not popular honestly as most people let desire outweigh function. The engines in 200 are most all the same honestly as those in 250 and some day you may be able to pick up a flooded 250 PCM/ECM and turn yours into a different animal. Since the boat rates those engines your not in violation as long as you notify your insurance.

Shopping for financing or go cash are also areas you can save. There are better financing options and a good high credit score really helps.

NOTE: this has us thinking of presenting a new option package to sales for just the Eyra model.

IMO I would go with the Eyra/ Mercury 200 Fourstroke setup. I studied Flyswatters thread a lot when he had the 200SHO on the Eyra and it was an incredible rig. That combo is all any man would ever need to fish. On my list to own one of these setups one day.
    Garmin Stiker 7sv and 7cv
    2017 Crestliner VT17 - Mercury 60 4S

14. Member
    It also makes a great retirement boat for those looking to just go fishing with more comfort.

BCB
    I look forward to doing more fishing once retired, and am looking at the Eyra as a potential replacement for my Puma. How does the Eyra draft compared to some of the other models (specifically, Caracal, Puma FTD and Cougar FTD)? Also, is the narrower trailer option available with the aluminum trailer upgrade? Thanks.
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma
    2012 250 hp Mercury ProXS
    Family Boat - 2011 Key West 189FS w/ Yamaha F115TX
    Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 D/A SRW LB CC
    RV- 2012 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity (named E-Pod)

http://BassCat.com
    Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com

15. Member
    Richard,

You know the areas I fish down here and how important shallow water access is. I think the Eyra drafts slightly more than my old Classic but not much more at all. I think it may draft slightly more (1"-2") than a Puma as well but I have no hard data to support it. The Puma sits slightly more level in the water than the Eyra. I can say i have not had any trouble accessing areas that I fished in my Classic since fishing out of my Eyra.

Now, I can't remember if your Puma is the one with the Gas tanks under the seat or not. If so, the Eyra will probably draft a little more just do to the weight balance in your current Puma.

I don't think the Eyra would cause you any issues draft wise. I haven't noticed a problem here fishing in trolling motor kicking up mud deep water.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

16. Member
    I myself would also like to to try the eyra/200 4 stoke and I guess I should have waited just a little bit. Got a 17 p2 I mite have to keep. But it’s got me thinking.

17. Member
    Chris - Yes, my Puma is the one w/ the under-seat gas tank which makes it an ideal river rat platform. I would most likely go back with the same if it was still offered. One of the reasons I am looking at the Caracal is its gas configuration option. I really miss my under seat storage of my old Jag, but would sacrifice it for shallower draft given my home waters is a river system. I hear nothing but great things about the Eyra handling which would be ideal for the winding creeks - plus it is the sharpest looking boat in the BCB stable. Knowing which drafts shallower will help. Decisions, decisions...
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma
    2012 250 hp Mercury ProXS
    Family Boat - 2011 Key West 189FS w/ Yamaha F115TX
    Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 D/A SRW LB CC
    RV- 2012 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity (named E-Pod)

http://BassCat.com
    Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com

18. Member
    Dynos are easily manipulateable. So...i wouldn't consider that "proven". Actual performance is only way to "know".

I'll put it this way...show me an automobile tuner that will give an honest 50 hp on a non power adder combo...Yes I can read claims/advertisements...I mean drag strip (where hp gains are measured by mph) actual 50 hp gain.
    Go read the post in the yamaha section. Speed gains seem to line up with the hp claims. Lots of variables to try and say a boat in water will show the exact hp gains more than a dyno. I'm just basing the speed gains from other people that have went from 200 to 250s or other combos

Alright, you can make several nice changes to a package and also not extend on the equipment. This post has brought up some comments on and off the boards. Some of this is not just in the Eyra model.

NOTE: this has us thinking of presenting a new option package to sales for just the Eyra model.
    What changes would you make? What would that option package entail?
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    What changes would you make? What would that option package entail?
    Hey...get back in line!

(I got dibs on this one...we'll call it the "Timbo" package.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast