Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wash-n-lures View Post
    Both are good engines but I'd vote for the Mercury 115 Pro XS CT. Great engine all the way around and probably quite a bit less expensive than the Yamaha.
    ^^^^^^

Gets my vote as well. The command thrust lower allows you a wide variety of props to choose from.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

2. Banned
    Another vote for the Mercury... Have one on a pontoon and love it... Get the piss run out of it pulling a tube... Great fuel mileage... Dan

3. Member
    Appears that the Merc CT allows you to swing higher pitch prop - gotta translate
    to higher top end, no?
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

4. Member
    My 2017 Merc 115 ProXS 4S is proving to be a stellar engine. DIY oil changes are inexpensive and quick. I can idle it down to 550 RPM’s with the MercSC system if I want. 7 year Platinum warranty was about a grand. I haven’t found guys running the CT lower unit getting any better top end than I’m getting on the RT188 hull. That may be different on a pad hull?

5. Member
    Read something about an rpm 'sensor' on the merc that bumps rpms' up to ensure
    battery charge. Potential to affect trolling?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRic View Post
    Read something about an rpm 'sensor' on the merc that bumps rpms' up to ensure
    battery charge. Potential to affect trolling?
    For the better! Got 280 hrs on my Pro XS most is trolling love the motor just did the 300 hr and only thing I was afraid to try was replacing the fuel rail filter. My troll control will take to 550rpm. Gonna get a kicker one of these days.

Thats not how it works it charges more at lower RPM to insure better charging at lower RPM. Does not automatically raise RPM!
    2016 Lowe FS 1710
    2016 Mercury Pro XS 115

7. Member
    Ah - thanks!! I do a fair amount of trolling, so this is for the better, indeed.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    My 2017 Merc 115 ProXS 4S is proving to be a stellar engine. DIY oil changes are inexpensive and quick. I can idle it down to 550 RPM’s with the MercSC system if I want. 7 year Platinum warranty was about a grand. I haven’t found guys running the CT lower unit getting any better top end than I’m getting on the RT188 hull. That may be different on a pad hull?
    My thinking was along the lines of a 24p prop at 6300 rpms, being faster than a 22p prop at 6300 rpms. But, I have been found down the
    'wishful thinking' path once or twice .......

<3

I rigged this up on an 18 action craft 2 weeks ago. Lightest, most powerful, & fuel efficient!

10. Member
    I have 2006 F115 with 1172 hours. No repairs just routine maintenance. Can't go wrong with F115.
    Quote Originally Posted by setme31 View Post
    I have the Yamaha 115. It's the best engine I've ever run. Stats quickly every time, and idles down to nothing for hours.

11. Member
    Thanks for all the great info and recommendations.

Well, I finally did it. I repowered my '97 Ranger R70 with a new Mercury ProXS 115 4 stroke.
    Final choice between ProXS and SHO 115 - selected the ProXS because:
    $1000 cheaper
    Rigging much cheaper, as my existing Mercury controls/gauges worked.
    Was available at my preferred dealer.
    Wife thought it was prettier.

Have a 21p aluminum prop, got 6000rpm on maiden voyage, hole shot not as good
    as Mercury 115 2+2 it replaced.
    Would welcome suggestions for SS prop type/pitch and any comments in general.

(and yes, I am a little wired)

https://imgur.com/ZZAuwQg

12. Member
    Awesome and congrats! Let us know how you like it

13. Member

Thumbs Up

Good choice...I absolutely love the 115 pro xs four stroke CT on my Triton 18TX

15. Member
    Update. Well, have close to 10 hrs. WOT 50.85 gps @ 6400 rpm.
    Perhaps an SS prop (tempest?? 22 or 23p?) in the future.
    No plans for a jackplate - not convinced they add much at this hp level.
    (unless ................ )

Motor feels strong and is so smooth. I still like Yamaha - but, Merc seems
    to have gotten this motor right.

(wife loves it - life is good!!! )

16. Banned
    I have a 2015 F115 no problems sometimes I forget it's running nice and quiet or get a newer Honda is my 2 pennies

Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke. Gear case depends on your boat. I have a Triton bass boat and my new Pro XS has a Standard Gear case and is running great. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=922852
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

18. Member
    Where are you at in Minnesota? I just went to Supreme Marine in Minneapolis last week to test a prop on my old 1998 Mariner 115 2+2 sitting on a Ranger 681VS. It is a bit longer than your R70 but also narrower. I tried out a Spitfire X7 19P from them and it woke my boat up big time. I have a Laser II - 22P as well and in the spring it really went, got 47.6 mph out of it but summer loads the 22P is just a bit much. Supreme has both a 19P and a 21P X7 Demo props in stock and you can get one for 3 days of testing. They say it is 30 bucks to rent the demo prop but I ended up buying a Spitfire X7 19P from them so they didn't charge me for the rental. I don't think the 21 will work any better than the 19 on my boat, but that X7 is an incredible prop. Better lift, way better holeshot, better bite in the corners, all around improvement.

All that said, I would love to hop in with you and hear/feel that 115 ProXS run. Considering the same switch myself.

First two runs with the Laser II - 22P and second two runs with the X7 - 19P. All one minute clips so you can fast forward to each section to compare holeshot.

19. Member
    I would not discount the Tohatsu because of no desler network. If the price is significantly lower than the Mercury or F115, then put it back into the mix.

Should be able to get any goid mechanic to work on.

20. Member
    After reading more about thd Tohatsu 115 hp models, I would look at the 2-stroke model.

The low-pressure direct-injection engine should be a great option for trolling.

The 5-year warranty is not bad either.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast