Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RT188 Seat Issue

Brand new boat. 2018 model, less than a month old.

The driver and passenger seats both have this issue. The seats fold up and down to access the storage underneath.

The metal on the bottom of the seat bottom is rubbing against the seat back when I close them...I already have holes/tears in both seats. I put some tape on the metal to reduce the impact, but it's still a big problem IMO. Those holes will just get bigger and bigger.

This is my first Ranger. I would imagine that this would fall under warranty...the seats were obviously not installed properly. Really disappointed given the cost of the boat.

What do I do? Contact the dealer? I really don't want to go without a boat for months while the issue is dealt with...I've got fishing to do!

Any advice appreciated! Let me know how you'd handle this. Thanks - Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bass Cat Eyra 2019
    Mercury 250 Pro XS Fourstroke

That is unacceptable. Looks like a bad install. Looks like the bottom secfion was installed a little off center of where it shoukd have been. That said, it should not be too bad of a fix. I would take it to the dealer and get him to order me some seats under warranty. When they get in, I would think you could drive the boat down to the dealership and have them changed and drive home with the boat the same day. I can't see that job being over a couple of hours once he has the seats.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

3. Member
    Mine rubs a little also but I have carpet and it’s not tearing are marking my seats . All that needs to be done is move the under seat storage box up away from the back deck wall a little to stop the the lid from rubbing . Maybe 4 screws . I hope your dealer takes care of this and get your seats replaced .

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    motorguide Xi5 80 with pinpoint gps
    Lowrance elite 5 ti with total scan console
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

4. Member
    Any updates yet ? Just realized that you are the same guy that had the rod locker latch problem . Looking back at your pics , now I’m wondering if the under seat storage box gets moved ahead a little to stop the seat rubbing , if the coin box can be moved back on the box a little to close the gap created between the back deck wall and coin box by moving the box ahead . Interested on what the fix is going to be .

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

5. Member
    If you take out the mat in the bottom, you'll see the screws that hold the box down that the seats on. In my case, there were only two of them. You could take them out, drill two new holes to move the entire box forward and put the screws back in. Just drill new holes in the box and reuse the holes in the boat floor.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

6. Member
    I’d contact your dealer. I bet Ranger gets you a new seat.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I’d contact your dealer. I bet Ranger gets you a new seat.
    This in regards to getting a new seat. That tear will only get worse. Looks like they just mounted the hinge too close. Riveted in of course too lol. Depending on dealer distance etc or how handy yoy are you could simply see where the seat mounts to the aluminum lid im assuming with screws and move the seat out or you have the option to drill all the rivets out on the hinge itself and move the hinge over to one side drill new holes and either use rivets again or truss head screws and just reposition the seat. Looks like it just needs to be moved ahead about 1/4” and be just right. Just a thought.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

As mentioned above. I’d drill the revits, reposition the seat out 1/4”

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

9. Member
    It’s kind of hard to tell by looking at pics . Both lids are rubbing the seats . The one in the pic looks like it’s mounted square and about as far ahead as it can get . If both lids are square and true I would simply move the box ahead before messing with those hinges. But it’s a brand new boat and the OP needs to contact his dealer and get what he can get done through warranty especially as for new seats .
    Last edited by Trusty Rusty; 07-19-2018 at 08:04 AM.

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

10. Member
    Dealer is in contact with Ranger...it sounds like they'll resolve the issue...haven't heard details yet. I would rather not mess with it myself if they'll handle it under warranty. I'll keep everyone updated.
    Bass Cat Eyra 2019

11. Member
    So, I contacted the dealer 11 days ago....as of this morning they have not heard back from the warranty department at Ranger. This is my first Ranger boat...what type of turnaround time would you guys expect on this sort of thing? The whole deal just drives me nuts...this sort of thing shouldn't be an issue on a brand boat with this kind of price tag from a reputable manufacturer.
    Bass Cat Eyra 2019

You are certain the dealer has been contacting ranger? Im not saying your dealer is but seen it many times where dealerships drag their feet on stuff like that and say they are calling but actually are not. Have you tried contacting Ranger yourself? No middle man then you get the word direct.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

13. Member
    They copied me on the email correspondence, so yes they have been in contact...but yes, I think I may have to take matters into my own hands soon.
    Bass Cat Eyra 2019

I don't know About your area, but we have a Ranger Regional Rep here. I called him once when I felt the Dealer/Ranger was not responding in a timely fashion. I have been through a lot of warranty issues with my RT188 but I had a dealer that was well connected at Ranger and went to bat for me.
    My advice is to respectfully discuss your concerns with the Dealer But let them know this can’t continue and ask if there is. Ranger Regional Rep that can be brought into the discussion.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

15. Member
    Thx Bill, that will be my next step.
    Bass Cat Eyra 2019

Quote Originally Posted by jv83 View Post
    Dealer is in contact with Ranger...it sounds like they'll resolve the issue...haven't heard details yet. I would rather not mess with it myself if they'll handle it under warranty. I'll keep everyone updated.
    I cannot think of any reason that this would not be a warranty item. Rattle the dealers cage a little more, but keep the factory call as an option. Sometimes things just take a bit to happen. I know it is a hassle and should be handled differently and really should not have happened......but you can still use the boat and fish and all that. I think they will work it out to your satisfaction in the end.

If I were in your shoes, I would bother the dealer a little more and maybe go directly to the owner. Sometimes an owner that gets "bothered" will do some bothering himself to the party that needs to get in gear. If you are talking to the service manager or parts guy, the owner might help him see straight ...LOL.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Hopefully you get it figured out. Just a question are you handy enough of a person to fix it? If so you could spend half hour to an hour and get the seat alignment fixed then just wait for a new seat since this one is torn. Some folks think everything has to be done by the dealer under warranty and thats fine but alot of simple things (which i classify this) can be easier foxed yourself. Then its exactly how you want it. Thats just my take on it.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

18. Member
    I just bought my rig, and they are replacing my front fishing seat (worn area), and it had been sitting in the storage lot in the Texas sun, so there was some fading of the driver/passenger seat, so they are replacing those for me as well. My dealer told me that Ranger is great at warranting items, but that they build everything in-house/custom, so it can take a little time to get (4-6 weeks). I am getting a custom boat cover from them as well, 6-8 weeks. I don't think the material on the camo rigs is very durable, but I would stay on Ranger/dealer to get this taken care of under warranty.

The driver and passenger seats both have this issue. The seats fold up and down to access the storage underneath.

The metal on the bottom of the seat bottom is rubbing against the seat back when I close them...I already have holes/tears in both seats. I put some tape on the metal to reduce the impact, but it's still a big problem IMO. Those holes will just get bigger and bigger.

This is my first Ranger. I would imagine that this would fall under warranty...the seats were obviously not installed properly. Really disappointed given the cost of the boat.

What do I do? Contact the dealer? I really don't want to go without a boat for months while the issue is dealt with...I've got fishing to do!

Attached Images Attached Images

19. Member

I’m just curious OP . Did Ranger fix this issue ? Haven’t heard anything lately .

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hornedfrog21 View Post
    I just bought my rig, and they are replacing my front fishing seat (worn area), and it had been sitting in the storage lot in the Texas sun, so there was some fading of the driver/passenger seat, so they are replacing those for me as well. My dealer told me that Ranger is great at warranting items, but that they build everything in-house/custom, so it can take a little time to get (4-6 weeks). I am getting a custom boat cover from them as well, 6-8 weeks. I don't think the material on the camo rigs is very durable, but I would stay on Ranger/dealer to get this taken care of under warranty.

I had to buy a new seat for my RT188 as I left one sitting on the deck and took off to the lake.

I ordered it through my dealer and it only took a couple weeks to get it.

We were just told out of stock and no estimate on time frame.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast