Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smbass77 View Post
    so what will become of all the professional co-anglers now that FLW has gotten rid of the co-anglers? Will they become social media pros now? What will happen to all of their "sponsors"? I mean, they "make a living" as a co-angler, how are they to feed their family?
    Professional co-anglers? Isn't that like an oxymoron

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aric11 View Post
    This may have already been addressed as I haven’t read that far ahead yet but I think this is a moot point. A Co-Angler will simply be replaced by a Marshall. So the risk and care of someone else’s life doesn’t change in that respect.
    Don’t want a marshal either, they need to change the whole system

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    Is there that big of a chance of cheating that anglers can't be trusted not to cheat ?
    I share the same sentiment. Rely on personal integrity. At the highest level, I simply can't believe a professional angler would knowingly risk their career, profession, and tarnish their name. If so, then so be it. Seems to be mixed messages regarding the purpose and evolving role of the coangler/Marshall.

I'd like to see the professionals fish alone unless they were assigned a camera person (or Marshall) for live reporting. A camera persons only role being to film/document the professional. Cameras should primarily be earned. My thoughts:

First Tournament
    On Day 1, assign them to the top #% based on prior AOY performance; prior Rookie of the Year; title sponsor recommendation; local host venue recommendation; and perhaps a couple of fan favorites. On the remaining days, assign them to the tournament leaders; prior AOY; prior Rookie of the Year; yesterdays moving day leader; title sponsor recommendation; local host venue recommendation; and perhaps a couple fan favorites?

Remaining tournaments
    On Day 1, assign them to the current AOY points leader; current Rookie of the Year points leader; prior AOY; prior Rookie of the Year; title sponsor recommendation; local host venue recommendation; and perhaps a couple of fan favorites. On the remaining days, assign them to the tournament leaders; current AOY points leader; current Rookie of the Year points leader; prior AOY; prior Rookie of the Year; yesterday's moving day leader; title sponsor recommendation; local host venue recommendation; and perhaps a couple fan favorites?

I believe this would provide a tremendous amount of coverage and drama while benefiting the fans, competitors, sponsors, venue and tours...

4. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    Is there that big of a chance of cheating that anglers can't be trusted not to cheat ?
    Anytime there is money involved there is a chance someone will cheat, cannot exactly decide who you think might and put a marshal with them. Everyone gets one to keep things even.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    I don't get why most of you guy's think a co should pay 1 dime for anything. I will not take any money from my co's why should I They have no say over anything just along for the ride. If you guy's depend on money from your co you need to find something else to do. Also my co's cash just about every tournament.
    I agree 100%!! Boaters all across the country whine like little girls about Co's not helping to pay for fuel and it's bs. If you can't afford gas for your ride then you shouldn't be trying to fish tournaments, save the entry fee and fun fish or keep your broke ass on the couch.

6. Banned

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverest View Post
    I share the same sentiment. Rely on personal integrity. At the highest level, I simply can't believe a professional angler would knowingly risk their career, profession, and tarnish their name. If so, then so be it. Seems to be mixed messages regarding the purpose and evolving role of the coangler/Marshall.

I'd like to see the professionals fish alone unless they were assigned a camera person (or Marshall) for live reporting. A camera persons only role being to film/document the professional. Cameras should primarily be earned. My thoughts:

First Tournament
    On Day 1, assign them to the top #% based on prior AOY performance; prior Rookie of the Year; title sponsor recommendation; local host venue recommendation; and perhaps a couple of fan favorites. On the remaining days, assign them to the tournament leaders; prior AOY; prior Rookie of the Year; yesterdays moving day leader; title sponsor recommendation; local host venue recommendation; and perhaps a couple fan favorites?

Remaining tournaments
    On Day 1, assign them to the current AOY points leader; current Rookie of the Year points leader; prior AOY; prior Rookie of the Year; title sponsor recommendation; local host venue recommendation; and perhaps a couple of fan favorites. On the remaining days, assign them to the tournament leaders; current AOY points leader; current Rookie of the Year points leader; prior AOY; prior Rookie of the Year; yesterday's moving day leader; title sponsor recommendation; local host venue recommendation; and perhaps a couple fan favorites?

I believe this would provide a tremendous amount of coverage and drama while benefiting the fans, competitors, sponsors, venue and tours...
    I don't know the whole story behind it, and I am sure this doesn't apply to most of the Pro's on tour, but Nate Wellman comes to mind with regards to this topic. Every tour at all levels will have people or bend or deliberately break the rules in pursuit of the almighty dollar. Marshall's and Co's may or may not be the answer, but unless someone has a better idea it's currently the best option we have to police it.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    Anytime there is money involved there is a chance someone will cheat, cannot exactly decide who you think might and put a marshal with them. Everyone gets one to keep things even.
    Tournament Fishermen are a cross section of society even though at the Elite level they are often elevated to a highly exalted status and not even considered as regular people by some. However just like society in general there will always be a percentage of them that will compromise their ethics and integrity so put a Marshal in their boat then be done with it.

It's not a personal insult to have a Marshal riding along to keep things honest

9. Member
    Familiar with the reported story but it couldn’t have occurred based on my recommendation...

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    Tournament Fishermen are a cross section of society even though at the Elite level they are often elevated to a highly exalted status and not even considered as regular people by some. However just like society in general there will always be a percentage of them that will compromise their ethics and integrity so put a Marshal in their boat then be done with it.

It's not a personal insult to have a Marshal riding along to keep things honest
    How honest will things be kept when FLW is giving an incentive to the Marshal's whose anglers do well.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aric11 View Post
    I don't know the whole story behind it, and I am sure this doesn't apply to most of the Pro's on tour, but Nate Wellman comes to mind with regards to this topic. Every tour at all levels will have people or bend or deliberately break the rules in pursuit of the almighty dollar. Marshall's and Co's may or may not be the answer, but unless someone has a better idea it's currently the best option we have to police it.
    I was just thinking about The Nate Welman story the other day. What ever come with all that and him.?? Haven’t heard a thing about him or any of that in a good while.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny3Times View Post
    How honest will things be kept when FLW is giving an incentive to the Marshal's whose anglers do well.
    Yep that opens up another can of worms is the incentive cash, extra fancy shirts, caps, jackets or high dollar tackle?

2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

14. Member
    There will always be the opportunity to cheat anytime money is involved. Guys from BASS could easily tell their marshal "hey ill hook you up if I place high". FLW marshals could easily want to help due to the incentives etc etc.

Don't they do random lie detector tests etc ? Or always to the guy who wins ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    Yep that opens up another can of worms is the incentive cash, extra fancy shirts, caps, jackets or high dollar tackle?
    "Marshals will be eligible for a top cash award of $2,500 at each regular-season FLW Tour stop based on the combined weight of the pros they are randomly paired with."

16. Member
    Don’t need no marshal either, if someone gets caught cheating they will be prosecuted and shamed for life in the fishing world!! The only reason the trails have non boaters is for money, we all know that. Less people involved less money coming in. But can’t hide the liability factor no matter what you do. Most boaters frown on having to get drawn with someone

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    I was just thinking about The Nate Welman story the other day. What ever come with all that and him.?? Haven’t heard a thing about him or any of that in a good while.
    1. Who cares.
    2. Nor you should.

18. Member
    Building on my prior post, I'd also recommend they maximize and double-down on the "Live" coverage aspect via derivative media products as technology evolves creating multiple revenue streams including commercial marketing research and advertising opportunities. Create an extensive and comprehensive edited BASS/FLW media library by: year, season, lake, tournament, angler, AOY, Rookie of the Year, technique, general bait type, specific bait, etc. for a reasonable price. I could foresee various market segments paying to advertise and view:

A particular season: Spring
    A particular angler: Thrift
    A particular lake: Kentucky Lake
    A particular condition: high water
    a particular technique: dropshot
    A general bait: swim jig
    A specific bait: Senko
    Last edited by Neverest; 07-22-2018 at 08:51 AM.

Curious why there's so much hate for co-anglers
    People have to hate on something so they can feel secure in their own life.
    It all starts with one person hating on something and then the bandwagoners jump on board with it until something else comes along to hate on that makes them feel all fuzzy and warm again.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverest View Post
    I share the same sentiment. Rely on personal integrity. At the highest level, I simply can't believe a professional angler would knowingly risk their career, profession, and tarnish their name.
    Bass fishermen are human. Humans make dumb decisions.

Guys will cheat just to win a $50 club fruit jar tournament. Guys get caught seemingly yearly in events with medium to large paybacks. When Santee Cooper dropped during the drought 12 years ago I walked around a little and found two fish baskets tied to stumps right next to a cypress tree. FLW had issues with "Angler X" years ago, the guy won a bunch of money before he was banned. Even with the "no info" rule in BASS this year, multiple tournaments have had 5,8,10 guys fishing the exact same spots.. including on a lake none of them had ever been to.

You get guys paying $100,000 yearly in expenses and entry fees go through a rough patch, human nature makes you wonder what they'd do to stay on tour. I would hope they wouldn't cheat....but when you haven't cashed a check in months, the mortgage is overdue, and the credit cards are maxed out desperate people do desperate things.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast