2002 195vs prop question

my son just bought a real nice 02 195vs with a yammie vmax 200.the prop that came on the boat is a 27 tempest and seems way wrong.the hole shot sucks,it will blow out the prop when the boat finally keels over.the boat has no plate.the seller gave him a 25 tempest with a cracked blade.should we send it off for repair or try something else maybe?

NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST!!!!!!

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Does the boat have a working tachometer? If so, what RPMs are you recording at top speed? Doesn’t matter at this point what the speed is. I have no personal experience with the 195, but am pretty sure that a hull that size with a 200 engine should not be running a 27 pitch, unless your passengers total zero pounds. Someone will be along soon with experiential data, but my guess would be a 24 pitch would be very good for overall performance. Because that is a very popular size, they often can be found at reasonable prices on our props for sale board. Your damaged 25 still might be too much pitch, and depending upon actual condition, a really good repair might set you back nearly as much as a quality used prop of your choice. Today’s best 4-blade props handle much better than the Tempest for overall performance and never blow out. They are more expensive, but unless your budget is really tight, they are worth it. Most cars and trucks run very similarly with a wide range of tires, at least for speed and acceleration, but boats don’t run well at all with the wrong prop....
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    I've got you covered on this one. I bought a 2003 195 this year. It had a Yamaha M25 on it and I was not happy with the hole shot or the handling (did not have a jackplate). I spoke to Steve's Custom props and they suggested a 24 or 25 pitch 3 blade Fury. I went with the 24 pitch and added a
    6 inch Rapid Jack. It's like a completely different boat. It jumps out of the hole and tops out at 64 mph + handles great.

http://www.hydrodynamics-usa.com/pro...tml#RAPID_JACK

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Good stuff, Jeff. Thanks for sharing.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio