Thread: 1980 Review

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1980 Review

I recently went to a Vexus dealer and I got to see one close up and drive it as well. I have seen a lot of interest and questions here so I figured I would post my observations.

I have owned and been in many aluminum boats in my lifetime being from the north, but the Vexus was easily on top. The design was great, it is definitely something that have never been done out of aluminum. I noticed the paint first, it was very smooth and hard, I saw that someone had stepped on the painted fender with their sandy shoes. The guy that was showing it to me wiped the foot print off and I saw there were no scratches. Most aluminum boats paint scratch if you look at them too hard.

I do some welding as a business on the side, so whenever I look at an aluminum boat that is what I look for. All of the welds looked great, it is rare to see good looking welds on an aluminum boat. Vexus definitely has great craftsmen on their team.

The layout was great as well, sitting in the drivers seat it did not feel like I was in an aluminum boat. I looked hard at the Ranger 198p, but it felt like pretty much every other Mod V bass boat out there, cramped and poor design and I would not want to make a 30 min run in any kind of rough water. The Vexus I would have no problem doing that, I felt like I fit in the cockpit. The rod lockers were nice, glass compartments were great, and interior fit and finish was just like a 60K glass boat. The carpet was nice, all compartments closed well without big gaps, and the bilge compartment was well thought out as well.

On the water the boat is somewhere between an aluminum boat and glass boat. The boat definitely absorbed the shock from the waves more than a normal aluminum boat, but not quite as good as a glass boat. The water wasn't too rough, but we did encounter some waves from other boats. The boat comes out of the hole well, got up to about 55 mph but didn't have too much room either, but that was about all it had with the e-tec. High speed handling was great, very responsive and stable. The boat is also very stable on the water, two guys on one side of the boat is not an issue.

I only found two things "wrong" in my opinion. Slow speed handling it not very good, which if you look at the hull makes a lot of sense. I am sure I could get use to this if I spent some more time in the boat. The last thing was backwash, if you aren't careful you can get so much backwash that it may make it all the way to you in the seats. Once again, if you back off slowly this isn't an issue.

With this being said, I did not go with a Vexus. If they had a little bigger model with more HP right now, I think that I would have. I am not going to complain about their HP ratings because I think I understand and respect their strategy and I realized the 1980 was not the boat that would fit what I am looking for. If they come out with something in the future that would meet my needs or my needs change, I will definitely give them another look.

2. Member
    Thanks for the review.

There are rumblings of a twenty foot (2080?) with a 200-225 HP rating coming soon... I am staying tuned!!!

4. Member
    Thanks for the good review, I have been looking at new boats, and been glued to the VEXUX board. Love AVX 1980, waiting for the new blue to come out.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinarc View Post
    There are rumblings of a twenty foot (2080?) with a 200-225 HP rating coming soon... I am staying tuned!!!
    A 225 at least I would hope ...

Keep in mind a 4 stroke Merc ProXS 200 / 225 & 250 all weigh the same

6. Member
    Huckleberry, I'm sure you realize that everything about the boat it's getting attached to matters as well. Not just weight of the motor itself. What boat specs are you using to form this opinion?

7. Member
    NOW, we are talking! Please, Vexus, do this with at least a 225 and you will be covered up with orders.

8. Member
    jhanson1114- I see you reside in Minnesota, where’d you find a boat to look at? Local? Please share, I’d like to look myself. Thanks for the review

9. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar

10. Member
    Great review JHansson114! Was the backwash issue a everytime thing! Did it happen more then once in your test drive? I have not been in a boat in a long time that has that happen.

i agree with you when I looked at the boat in person it was incredible well made and very thoughtful in its lay out.

11. Member
    Where did you hear that? Or are you just blowin smoke

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sclark View Post
    Sounds like you’re right, both are sold but the one is still at the dealership to look at.

13. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar

Four our more beautiful boats heading out the back door !
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Member
    Man I would hate to be responsible for driving that truck load haha

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    jhanson1114- I see you reside in Minnesota, where’d you find a boat to look at? Local? Please share, I’d like to look myself. Thanks for the review
    In Tune Marine, they are great to work with. Call Aaron Teal and he will get you a test ride! They have a boat they strictly use for demos right now.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by icebound View Post
    Great review JHansson114! Was the backwash issue a everytime thing! Did it happen more then once in your test drive? I have not been in a boat in a long time that has that happen.

i agree with you when I looked at the boat in person it was incredible well made and very thoughtful in its lay out.
    It would probably happen every time if you don't ease off, but it is definitely preventable. Not something that would keep me from buying one, just something to get use to.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan9 View Post
    Where did you hear that? Or are you just blowin smoke
    I heard it too. I am guessing if you take SClark up on him getting someone in contact with you, Vexus would most likely give you all the info they can.

18. Member
    That would be pretty cool if they did for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by jhanson1114 View Post
    I recently went to a Vexus dealer and I got to see one close up and drive it as well. I have seen a lot of interest and questions here so I figured I would post my observations

On the water the boat is somewhere between an aluminum boat and glass boat. The boat definitely absorbed the shock from the waves more than a normal aluminum boat, but not quite as good as a glass boat. The water wasn't too rough, but we did encounter some waves from other boats. The boat comes out of the hole well, got up to about 55 mph but didn't have too much room either, but that was about all it had with the e-tec. High speed handling was great, very responsive and stable. The boat is also very stable on the water, two guys on one side of the boat is not an issue.

I only found two things "wrong" in my opinion. Slow speed handling it not very good, which if you look at the hull makes a lot of sense. I am sure I could get use to this if I spent some more time in the boat. The last thing was backwash, if you aren't careful you can get so much backwash that it may make it all the way to you in the seats. Once again, if you back off slowly this isn't an issue.

With this being said, I did not go with a Vexus. If they had a little bigger model with more HP right now, I think that I would have. I am not going to complain about their HP ratings because I think I understand and respect their strategy and I realized the 1980 was not the boat that would fit what I am looking for. If they come out with something in the future that would meet my needs or my needs change, I will definitely give them another look.
    I appreciate the review and have a couple of questions...
    Are you saying that with the 150 about all it would do is 55? I understand there were two people in the boat - but was there any gear in the boat? Was the livewell full? Was the 30 gallon gas tank full? I assume it had three batteries and a trolling motor....... Did it have any jackplate or any PowerPoles on the back. I am trying to get my head around what the "real world" speed would be with a couple of guys and gear and gas and a cooler and livewell and a couple of Talons..etc. How was the boat set upexactly when you drove it?

Those questions and answers also affect the backwash. If you go adding stuff (weight) to the rear, it will get a lot worse and if it can already make it to the seats on a fast stop ------ what were the exact weight conditions - did it have full gas and livewell water and Talons and such?

I saw three or four of these Vexus boats up close and personal and like their looks and design, but am more curious now about how they perform. Fifty five (55MPH) at maximum RPMs wide open with a 150 and light load is really not that great (especially if it had a JP) .....and you said "about 55." Thank you for taking the time to do an unbiased review from a real world perspective.
    Last edited by Panama; 07-17-2018 at 04:01 PM.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

20. Member
    My test ride was in a little chop and empty boat with about 1/2 tank of fuel. Two guys total, no gear, Hummingbird showed 56 top speed with the Evinrude 150, no jack plate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast