Thread: 1980 Review

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I just bought a 1980 a couple of weeks ago. Had a ‘09 skeeter 20i. I think the boat handles awesome. As good as skeeter,No. it has alot more deck space than a skeeter. But I’m getting 57mph with jackplate. But that’s not why I bought it. I wanted new with a 8 yr warranty. I have no regrets. All you guys complaining about is speed is rediculous. Even with a 200 you aren’t going beat a fiberglass boat with a 250. (Unless it’s a ranger��)

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    I appreciate the review and have a couple of questions...
    Are you saying that with the 150 about all it would do is 55? I understand there were two people in the boat - but was there any gear in the boat? Yes Was the livewell full? No Was the 30 gallon gas tank full? Yes I assume it had three batteries and a trolling motor.......Yes, 24V Ultrex Did it have any jackplate or any PowerPoles on the back. Manual Jackplate I am trying to get my head around what the "real world" speed would be with a couple of guys and gear and gas and a cooler and livewell and a couple of Talons..etc. How was the boat set upexactly when you drove it?

Those questions and answers also affect the backwash. If you go adding stuff (weight) to the rear, it will get a lot worse and if it can already make it to the seats on a fast stop ------ what were the exact weight conditions - did it have full gas and livewell water and Talons and such?

I saw three or four of these Vexus boats up close and personal and like their looks and design, but am more curious now about how they perform. Fifty five (55MPH) at maximum RPMs wide open with a 150 and light load is really not that great (especially if it had a JP) .....and you said "about 55." Thank you for taking the time to do an unbiased review from a real world perspective.
    I interjected my comments in RED above. There was stuff in most of the compartments up front but not in the back. 3 batteries but no power poles. The gas tank was full, but no water in the live wells. And yes 55 MPH GPS was what we were able to hit, the dealer said they see up to 57 MPH.

Quote Originally Posted by jhanson1114 View Post
    I heard it too. I am guessing if you take SClark up on him getting someone in contact with you, Vexus would most likely give you all the info they can.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyattapel View Post
    I just bought a 1980 a couple of weeks ago. Had a ‘09 skeeter 20i. I think the boat handles awesome. As good as skeeter,No. it has alot more deck space than a skeeter. But I’m getting 57mph with jackplate. But that’s not why I bought it. I wanted new with a 8 yr warranty. I have no regrets. All you guys complaining about is speed is rediculous. Even with a 200 you aren’t going beat a fiberglass boat with a 250. (Unless it’s a ranger)
    That sounds great and sounds like a very nice boat. I'm jealous. And I bet you are right...it doesn't handle as well as the Skeeter. I have a friend that guides with a Skeeter and the handling and ride are very good.

This is just me and I am probably in the minority.... But I think the speed with your boat is acceptable. You guys dont throw stuff at me now. It would be nice to see 60 but that's no big deal.

The speed I have personally talked about is the 1880...not your boat. And it is with the 115 they had it rated at. With a couple of guys and full gas and livewell and a Talon, I think it would need at maxxed out RPMs to do 45. I think 45 or so is a good cruising speed and your boat will cruise at 45 without pushing the motor to the red line all day long. I just don't have room for nor do I want to buy a 20 ft. boat to do that. I like what your boat is doing, but the 1880 won't come near that with the 115. Maybe there is a 135 coming out somewhere...we will see.

I don't think you would be as happy if your boat only did 45 or so wide open with you and a another guy and gas and gear. You have a fine boat. I am not a speed demon but I would like to cruise at about 45 without the motor screaming all the time to do it. My conversation was never meant for the 1980, it was for the1880. I think you made a good purchase. I have seen these boats and they are nice.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

5. Member
    That’s a big reason I went with the 1980 as well. Like the 45-50 mph speed loaded and not having to run it WFO to get that speed.
    Can’t wait to get mine!!! 10 weeks and counting.

Where was this dealer that you checked out the Vexus boat. I live in MN. I don't think there is a Vexus dealer in MN. If so where? I'm so heading there to see one in person.
    2006 Ranger Z20
    2011 225hp Evinrude ETEC H.O.
    26p Raker II SS prop
    HDS9 gen2 at bow and HDS16 carbon on a precision sonar console bracket.
    Units linked into outboard interface.
    Precision sonar gauge relocation kit.
    2) 8' power pole blades
    101 lb 36v minn kota fortrex
    Bob's 10" hydraulic jack plate

Oops my bad. I read more. In tune marine. Disregard last post.
    2006 Ranger Z20
    2011 225hp Evinrude ETEC H.O.
    26p Raker II SS prop
    HDS9 gen2 at bow and HDS16 carbon on a precision sonar console bracket.
    Units linked into outboard interface.
    Precision sonar gauge relocation kit.
    2) 8' power pole blades
    101 lb 36v minn kota fortrex
    Bob's 10" hydraulic jack plate

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilds View Post
    Oops my bad. I read more. In tune marine. Disregard last post.
    Yes In Tune, they are great to work with. I spent time at a lot of dealers and they are definitely they best I had experience with.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyattapel View Post
    I just bought a 1980 a couple of weeks ago. Had a ‘09 skeeter 20i. I think the boat handles awesome. As good as skeeter,No. it has alot more deck space than a skeeter. But I’m getting 57mph with jackplate. But that’s not why I bought it. I wanted new with a 8 yr warranty. I have no regrets. All you guys complaining about is speed is rediculous. Even with a 200 you aren’t going beat a fiberglass boat with a 250. (Unless it’s a ranger��)
    It is summer and boats go slower in the warm water and warm air. Even in Minnesota I bet the water temp is at least 80. It was 85 the past two weeks where I was fishing in eastern Ontario.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Originally Posted by fishinarc
    There are rumblings of a twenty foot (2080?) with a 200-225 HP rating coming soon... I am staying tuned!!!

Where did you hear that? Or are you just blowin smoke

It appears no one was "blowing smoke" as of this morning!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12