Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Papa John kicked out of office.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/16/new...ice/index.html

Man there has been no shortage of drama in the Louisville area this summer. Just when things seem to settle down Papa says hey "hold my beer and watch this".

Was listening to sports radio this morning and they replayed an interview with Papa. Hes now claiming the firm they were working with that released the info was extorting him for 6M. Said point blank they requested 6M or they would go public. His response was that hes not for sale.

This is gonna get interesting as extortion is a crime.

2. Member
    Hi Mike.

3. Banned
    Very interesting twist! At first I liked the guy, he went from selling pizzas out of the back room of his uncle's bar in Jeffersonville, then went on to build up a big national company, a nice success story about the little guy who made it big with hard work....but now he just seems like he's lost touch with reality and has been making poor decisions.

4. Member
    I guess the money he had already paid them for their services when he was a client wasn't enough?

Either that, or he's just making this up to cover his ass. He'll have to have proof they said that, for sure.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    I guess the money he had already paid them for their services when he was a client wasn't enough?

Either that, or he's just making this up to cover his ass. He'll have to have proof they said that, for sure.
    Yup that's why I find this very interesting. If hes just making this up its pretty much guaranteed he gets sued by the PR firm. If hes legit and can prove it this is pure extortion. Those of us in the Louisville area are very aware of the Pitino extortion case where the chick went to prison.

So to say you are extorted for 6M is a pretty ballsy claim if false. I guess maybe he knows hes got the funds to fight it to the point where they give up I don't know.

6. Banned
    What seems odd is the lack of federal intervention. If I was getting extorted for 6 mil the first thing I would do is get the FBI involved and see the whole thing thru all the way to the payoff. Those guys go to prison and you get vindicated.

7. Member
    After watching him drag race against Antron Brown last month, and they seemed to have a friendly comradere between them, I honestly don't think he is a racist.

Just made a dumb mistake.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    What seems odd is the lack of federal intervention. If I was getting extorted for 6 mil the first thing I would do is get the FBI involved and see the whole thing thru all the way to the payoff. Those guys go to prison and you get vindicated.

EXACTLY!!!! Thats basically exactly what Pitino did.

Extortion is a big deal. What I also wonder is what repercussions there are if you just make it up. IMO if you are proven to just make it up you need to serve some time. Doubt that's what happens as its probably just more of a monetary issue though.

Will be interesting that's for sure.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    After watching him drag race against Antron Brown last month, and they seemed to have a friendly comradere between them, I honestly don't think he is a racist.

Just made a dumb mistake.
    His comment was so far from a racist comment that you couldn't see it with the hubble telescope, but in todays environment people are looking for people to crucify.

From what I've seen printed
    The phone call in which Schnatter used the n-word was with marketing agency Laundry Service, on a conference call intended to help the company avoid any future PR blunders over race. But on that call, when discussing his previous comments on the NFL, Schnatter commented that Colonal Sanders had never faced a backlash and had said far worse than he did.“Colonel Sanders called blacks [n-word],” he said.

Stupid for using the real word instead of just saying “n-word”, but stupid and racist are different. Had a white dude get beat up at a concert recently for singing along with singer and the crowd. Lyrics used the real word. Attendees didn’t think he had the right to sing along using that word. It’s hypocritical and many don’t understand or agree, but it is what it is and when you are in his position, you have to play by everybody’s rules.
    Last edited by barbarian; 07-16-2018 at 11:41 AM.

10. Member
    I'm not going to go round and round about this guy again...But....I for the life of me can't figure why these guys that choose to be in the public eye shoot their mouths off over race, Politics, religion, whatever...Especially athletes...They could just sit in their mansions counting their money but they choose to either do something stupid or shoot their mouths off....and no matter what the subject your going to lose half of your potential fan base....I understand supporting a cause where you have the power to make a difference and make changes but most of these guys rant about crap that is totally out of their control..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

11. Bobby8
    I can't say anything bad about Papa Johns. When Wimberley Texas flooded a few years back, I volunteered to help folks clean out their flooded homes. The first day I was there Papa John’s showed up with free pizza for everyone. I have never seen so many pizza boxes in my life. I was very grateful.

12. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    He will enjoy his retirement

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    I'm not going to go round and round about this guy again...But....I for the life of me can't figure why these guys that choose to be in the public eye shoot their mouths off over race, Politics, religion, whatever...Especially athletes...They could just sit in their mansions counting their money but they choose to either do something stupid or shoot their mouths off....and no matter what the subject your going to lose half of your potential fan base....I understand supporting a cause where you have the power to make a difference and make changes but most of these guys rant about crap that is totally out of their control..
    Whatever happened to freedom of speech? If Papa John was black, the words he said would have just been dismissed. I'm so tired of the double standard in this country.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Whatever happened to freedom of speech? If Papa John was black, the words he said would have just been dismissed. I'm so tired of the double standard in this country.
    Is he being prosecuted by the Government for something he said?? No...That is what freedom of speech covers....It doesn't cover repurcussions from an Employer, board of directors, an athletes or stars fan base etc etc....
    We've beat this horse to death with this guy.
    .and like the point I was trying to make..with the post you copied..
    I guess it is more important for these guys to shoot their mouths off than the millions that they lose and the damage they do to their brand..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

15. Member
    John is being 'tried' by his coworkers, shareholders and sponsors.
    And that's where we need to understand that it's fully acceptable.

Have never had one of his pizza's. I don't think I missed much

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    His comment was so far from a racist comment that you couldn't see it with the hubble telescope, but in todays environment people are looking for people to crucify.

From what I've seen printed
    The phone call in which Schnatter used the n-word was with marketing agency Laundry Service, on a conference call intended to help the company avoid any future PR blunders over race. But on that call, when discussing his previous comments on the NFL, Schnatter commented that Colonal Sanders had never faced a backlash and had said far worse than he did.“Colonel Sanders called blacks [n-word],” he said.

Stupid for using the real word instead of just saying “n-word”, but stupid and racist are different. Had a white dude get beat up at a concert recently for singing along with singer and the crowd. Lyrics used the real word. Attendees didn’t think he had the right to sing along using that word. It’s hypocritical and many don’t understand or agree, but it is what it is and when you are in his position, you have to play by everybody’s rules.
    I've wanted to say this several times, but figured I'd just get blasted for saying it. I read the article the same as you, he was relating a specific situation but didn't use the word as a slur. Stupid choice for sure in this day and age, but the way he used it doesn't paint him as a racist. Let the flames begin.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smalljawguy View Post
    I've wanted to say this several times, but figured I'd just get blasted for saying it. I read the article the same as you, he was relating a specific situation but didn't use the word as a slur. Stupid choice for sure in this day and age, but the way he used it doesn't paint him as a racist. Let the flames begin.
    No it paints him to be as stupid as he looks in his commercials. In a teleconference you don't know exactly who's in the room and listening. Using that word in any context in that situation is dumb for anyone, and entirely brain dead for a guy trying to repair his PR. In that exact situation had he said someone else had used the c-word (using the actual word) he would know full well that even though he wasn't calling any female that word, it's use would garner harsh backlash. The n-word is the same kind of kryptonite.

Hes probably sitting at home thinking " I'll give up my billion dollar net worth if people will like me again." NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    John is being 'tried' by his coworkers, shareholders and sponsors.
    And that's where we need to understand that it's fully acceptable.
    He has been found guilty, no trial, by the media. His coworkers, shareholders, and sponsors fear the same, so they condemn him also.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast