New to the forum - 03 Johnson 90hp 2-stroke stutter when giving throttle

Was referred to this forum through another forum so I thought I would post up here. Excuse my ignorance when it comes to Johnsons, never owned one!!

I will try to make this short but here we go.

Went to sea trial a 03 Key West 1720 with a buddy this afternoon. Has a 03 90hp Johnson. As of now, we are passing on the boat but I am still curious as to what could be the issue.

Took the boat for a sea trial and it would run fine around 2000-2500 RPM then as soon as you gave it throttle, it would bog down. It wouldn't stall but you would have to take it down to idle speed. He said he just replaced the water pump due to running aground??? He did the work himself.....

He is moving (literally was packing into a uhaul when we pulled up) so he is letting it go for a steal. Had brand new humminbird helix 5 and had a used trolling motor.

Asking for opinions because I might try to get it even cheaper if yall think it could be an easy fix. I have video of it running in the driveway if that would help at all!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ktn...ew?usp=sharing

2. Member
    Sounds like it’s in slow mode to protect the engine because somethings wrong. Ask in the evinrude Johnson forum & you’ll find out what it is.

3. Member
    Whoops, thought I posted in there. THanks!