Thread: GCV20 issues

GCV20 issues

I have enjoyed my GCV20 for about a month now. I decided to put a 1242xsv on my console and move my 942xs to the front of the boat. I got all of that done Friday and took it out for testing. First impression is that after you get used to a touch screen, it is frustrating going back to knobs and buttons. The 942 wouldn't power on but everything worked great on the new 1242. The next morning I went out again and there was no sideview or downview available on the 1242. The GCV20 had it's green light flashing. Once I came back in and started troubleshooting, I found a blown fuse on the 942. I replaced that and powered on the system and the 942 went into a lengthy recover phase. When that completed both units worked but neither unit has sideview or downview. The GCV20 has a flashing green light and flashing white lights at both car5 connections. I'm hoping someone has some insight on this. Thanks.

Update: software update fixed the problem
    Last edited by BugDoc; 07-16-2018 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Update

2. Member
    Whew!!!! I'm happy for you. That blown fuse had me concerned about some terrible possibilities.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Whew!!!! I'm happy for you. That blown fuse had me concerned about some terrible possibilities.
    I just thought it was fixed. Went out this week and started mapping the lake my next tourney was on. After a couple of hours the side view and the down view froze. I turned off the system and restarted it and it worked for another 15 minutes before the screen froze on SI and DI. Another restart and nothing. Now I have a flashing red light on the GCV20 and black boxes with "not available? where SI and DI should be on both the 942 and 1242. I called Garmin and the tech was convinced that I had a defective network cable. Sent out 2 replacements that came in yesterday. I installed them above deck and nothing. I'm about ready to ship this $4k worth of electronics back to my merchant and go in another direction. This is so frustrating
    Last edited by BugDoc; 07-21-2018 at 02:04 PM.

4. Member
    The odd thing in all of this is the traditional sonar and quickdraw are networking fine between the units. The network goes through the GCV20 so it makes me wonder if the real problem is the UHD34 'ducer. Wish I new how I could check that.

5. Member
    I may not be much help, but I'll take a stab at it. Here is what I would do.
    1. Verify the software version on all the devices and write it down. That's Settings->System->System Information-Devices. There it should show all the devices connected and software versions. Make sure all are the latest.
    2. When you get the error message - write it down exactly or use your phone and take a picture of it. The exact message makes a difference. Not available, not detected, whatever.
    Also watch the flashing light for a flash sequence pattern. steady flashing or some fast, some slow, how many. The sequence will help identify the problem.
    3. I would boot it up at home, seems like it works to start with, and disconnect the UHD transducer from the GCV20 and see if that is the same exact message.
    4. Last, when it screws up, I would disconnect the power at the GCV20, wait 15-20 seconds, and connect it back up, without touching or moving any cables. If it comes back up and works for a while note that.

Then decide if it's worth going back to tech support with this info or calling it quits.

BTW, I connect and disconnect transducers from running units all the time and have done it for a long time. I don't think you will hurt anything.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.