Any reel repair guys - need some help - mysterious issue

Sorry a little long...

So this is a new one for me. I have no idea how i did this or how to solve it other than buy a new part.
    My abu orra winch is slipping. Was deep crsnking and it just started slipping. The spool is now turning on the spool pin. I have never seen this in all all my 30 some years fishing and many many reels.

No sure how it was fitted. No pins or crimps. Im guessing some kind of pressure fit but its loose now...totaly loose. I can hold the pin and spin the spool.

How? Why? Huh?
    Anyone have a clue?

2. Banned
    The spool pin that is by the spool bearing? Or the brake assembly?

Sounds like he's saying the spool is slipping on the shaft.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

4. Member
    sounds like you had too much oil in the gears, then in the heat it has worked its way in between your drag washers??

5. Member
    He shouldnt have any oil on the gears. Should be only grease.

I think hes saying the spool shaft with the spool pin is spinning inside the spool if I’m reading that right. If thats the case, you need a new spool. Not sure if that can be repaired or epoxied back in.

6. Member
    I had one do that years ago on a 4600 CA. If out of warenty get a new spool. Some time pulling the line with the spool to break off can damage the spool.

Shoot a PM to Trey Harpel. He is a board sponsor and does an excellent job.
    LET'S GO BLUES!!! WILL WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2024?

8. Member
    Iabass8 and bryanmc are correct. So yes...the spool is spinning on the spool shaft. Not anything else. Its so weird. Cant tell how it was held in place. Both parts are smooth no pin and no sign of any way they were held together.

Looks like im probably going to need a new spool.

9. Member
    I would shoot PikeRoadBassn a PM and ask if he knows of a fix before sourcing a new spool. Never had one come apart there so I cannot say how it's fixed into the spool.

10. Member
    There are a couple different ways spools and spool shafts are set up. Without looking at the specific reel it's hard to tell.

On some spools the spool and spool shaft are separate. The spool rotates on the shaft. Normally on these there are 2 grooves on the pinion gear that latch onto 2 flat pieces on the spool itself. For these, sometimes the bottom of the pinion breaks off, sometimes the 2 flat pieces on the spool which are normally 1 round deal attached to the spool with a clip. They don't normally break as they are stainless, but the clip sometimes does and they come off or come loose. It could also be that the pinion isn't returning to it's home position and isn't seating right on the spool to catch the latch.

On other spools the shaft is somehow fixed solid to the spool. It's still 2 pieces but it will be made solid with a pin or some sort of clip, or splines, or shape. The bearings on these type spools are out side the spool. Often on these the shaft has some sort of squared shape to it that engages the pinion gear. The shaft is stainless and the pinions are Brass. More often than not the inside of the pinion that is supposed to grip the squared shaft strips out and you need a new pinion. It is possible that whatever system (Pin or shape or splines) they used to fix the shaft in the spool failed but far more likely the pinion. It could also be that the pinion isn't returning fully to it's home and therefore isn't gripping the shaft. That will cause the pinion to round out pretty quick if it doesn't fully seat.

A good cleaning and oiling might fix it. It would also reveal the exact problem to an experienced person.

11. Member
    Right now i just need to figure out how the 2 parts were joined. Its driving me nuts...lol

Heres 2 pics that might better explain
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ichapica View Post
    Right now i just need to figure out how the 2 parts were joined. Its driving me nuts...lol

Heres 2 pics that might better explain
    I think there's only 2 of us so far that actually know what you're talking about, lol . curado 51e is similar w/o the bearing but has the cent. brakes on the opposite side. What does the opposite side of the spool look like? i've never worked on anybody's orra.

nvm, found a picture on TT. It kind of looks like you're missing a washer/c clip on the large end opposite of the bearing. Looks like there's a groove. Might want to check the magnets to see if something is stuck. Just guessing at this point . That spool shaft has to be fixed in there somehow.
    Last edited by iabass8; 07-16-2018 at 05:57 PM.

13. Member
    Yeah i tried to explain it as best as i could. Alot of different theories but its really this sppol and shaft problem only. Pics help.
    Look at these. Left side is my other orra spool and on the right is the loose busted one. I dont see a clip or difference. Maybe im missing something.
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Member
    It looks to me like the shaft was pressed into the spool and there were grooves or splines just below the center bearing. Apparently those grooves and splines have been stripped causing it to spin. You will probably need a new spool which may or may not be available. Most ABU spools if available approach $50 to buy and get shipped. Being that a bearing is included on that one it may be more than that. You really need to know what you are doing to drive the pin out to remove that bearing so I'd say it comes with it installed. I have long since quit working on reels for others and don't have access to prices. You might try Southwestern Parts though.

15. Member
    Something you might try as a last resort is carefully sweating it together like fitting copper pipe.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post
    Something you might try as a last resort is carefully sweating it together like fitting copper pipe.
    Hmmm... didnt think of that. Might try it just to see.
    Nothing to loose.

Looking at spool prices and shipping, im ptobably just get a used orra reel if i can find one or just get something else.