Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    That is a TERRIBLE location. Directly in front of the motor? Good thing this is not a fast boat or you would be making bat-turns here and there. Every installation guide I have ever seen recommends against a centerline install for the transducer.
    ?? Explain your reasoning? This is actually where lowrance recommends.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    Why is this a bad location? I have always mounted my transducers dead center of the hull and never had a problem. Not sure why you say you will be doing bat-turns when if you mount correctly your pad is a good 6-8 inches lower than the transducer and will never affect the performance of the boat. Always had clean and clear pictures from dead center mounting.
    Stratos 201 Pro Elite, Evinrude 200 Etec H.O., Minn Kota, Humminbird

3. Member
    You guys are mixing apples and oranges. The original question was concerning the Totalscan transducer. It contains the Side, Down AND 2d elements in it. If if is not mounted at the bottom of the lowest spot on the pad, it will NOT read 2D at speed, period. If you mount it above the bottom of the boat, you will get NO 2D depth while on plane. The Totalscan was designed for aluminum boat rigging, or rigging for single point installation like a pontoon. If you want to ready 2D sonar at speed and also use Side and Downscan at idle, get the Y-cable setup with a separate 2D transducer and the LSS-2 or 3D transducers.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat29 View Post
    IMHO (not that it means jack). The Totalscan transducer is not the most ideal set up for a bass boat. Issues with mounting locations, loss of on plane depth monitoring at the helm, or knocking the thing off are just to name a few. The LSS2 on a jackplate mount (brand of choice) coupled with a thru the hull puck for on plane and 2D sonar is more versatile. I ended up doing this along with an HDI at the bow, networked, and new NMEA backbone with temp senors when I upgraded and have zero issues when scanning at idle or on plane. Obviously structure scan is not usable which on plane but that works fine for me.
    i am running my 3 hds unite the same exact way. hDI on the trolling motor for the hds 8, 2d thru hull for one console 7 touch, and the other console 7 touch I am running the lss2... all link together through Ethernet into the lss1 module. Works great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12