lower unit vibration and rattle

Looking for some advice here...I'm trying to diagnose a very loud rattle and vibration from my lower unit. The motor is a 2012 75 HP Optimax. The rattle is extremely loud, but only occurs when the motor is in forward gear, especially at idle speeds and the prop is in the water, but I can still hear it over the sound of the motor at cruising speeds It does not make the noise when the engine is run on muffs in the driveway.

This is not a subtle noise, but very loud...sounds like the lower unit is full of marbles! No evidence of metal particles in the oil. Motor has a Solus aluminum prop, but changing the prop made no difference. Someone has suggested that it is clutch rattle...but I have a hard time figuring out how that could cause such a loud noise. The motor moves into forward and reverse fine, and has made this noise for a few months now with no further issues. To try and isolate the source I've even considered pulling the power head, thinking that a bad motor mount or cracked exhaust plate could be the cause. Any ideas from the experts?? Thanks for your help!

2. Member
    try this hub 896233a01 for prop
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Unfortunately the Solus has an integral hub and cannot be replaced.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenfshrmn View Post
    Unfortunately the Solus has an integral hub and cannot be replaced.
    According to Solas they can - http://www.rubexprops.com/dealer/pressed-hubs/

The alternative would be to replace with Mercury prop.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax