Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Kevlar instead of fiberglass Skeeter?

Looking at a 1977 Bass Pro catalog, there is a full page ad for a Skeeter SS-7 17 ft. bass boat made from Kevlar instead of fiberglass. Advertised as lighter and stronger. I don't remember Kevlar as a hull material. What happened as it certainly didn't work out?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Banned
    Im sure its much much more money for material.

There were also some Kevlar Stratos boats, IIRC. Kevlar is about 3 or 4 times as expensive to start with, and I don't imagine they can run it through a chopper gun. I haven't messed with composites in decades, but new stuff is coming out every day. I have a spool of Boron fiber that nobody wants!

I had a “kevlar” Hydrasports. IIRC, there was still a lot of fiberglass in the boat. The kevlar was in the bottom and maybe the transom.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

I had an '85 1710 limited addition tracker that was kevlar instead of fiber glass. I loved it. I had a 150XR2 on it and it would turn a 26p prop to 6000 rpm's. I didn't have gps on the boat back in those days but it was scary fast. It was several hundred pounds lighter that the fiberglass version of the same boat. I bought it used so I don't have any idea how much it was new but I too heard that it was NOT cost effective so they went to the all fiberglass models....

Last edited by luvdmymerc; 07-15-2018 at 06:44 PM.

6. Member
    Most only had Kevlar reinforcements. While Kevlar is lighter than fiberglass, the weight is in the resign, (same resign used in fiberglass) so the weight savings is far less than most want to believe. Even converting the whole boat to kevlar, including the lids, usually results in 200 lbs or less difference. The way to get a lot lighter is having fewer layers, which makes the boat a lot weaker.

7. Member
    But is it bullet proof?
    John the Garage Doorman

I had a 84 HydraSport. Kelvar was one of the selling points at the time. It wasn't any better or worst than any of other brands at the time.
    Mine had a stress crack the entire length of the hull @ water line when I traded it. Plus a couple repaired holes, from stumps, in the sump area.
    But it was a fast little sucker.
    ******2008 ZX200/200 Yamaha Series 2******
    *God is great, beer is good ---- people are crazy*

9. Member
    From what I know it’s mixed in with the resin. And gambler hulls. are all made this way.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdmymerc View Post
    I had an '85 1710 limited addition tracker that was kevlar instead of fiber glass. I loved it. I had a 150XR2 on it and it would turn a 26p prop to 6000 rpm's. I didn't have gps on the boat back in those days but it was scary fast. It was several hundred pounds lighter that the fiberglass version of the same boat. I bought it used so I don't have any idea how much it was new but I too heard that it was NOT cost effective so they went to the all fiberglass models....

Think that boat was built by Stratos.

11. Member
    Gambler played with it for quite a while also extremely fast boats still know a old man with one and it only has a 225 and I’ve seen 78 gps with both of us in it
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL Pro
    2023 Pro XS 250
    Lowrance Ghost
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live
    Dual CM2 8' Blades

Tow Vehicle
    2022 GMC AT4 3500 HD Crew Cab Duramax
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

12. Banned
    You would think it might be cost effective today for a go fast brand as much as boats cost, I know Bullet uses balsa in their boats instead of regular wood or composite to make them lighter/faster, kevlar would seem to make sense but maybe not I'm no boat builder.

13. Member
    I had a 79 Cajun Kevlar, 17ft 900 lb hull, rated for 120. Sold new with 140hp on it. I put a 175 mer on it, very fast and easy to drive. Most dangerous part was water coming over transom if you shut it down fast. Lol

14. Member
    Um, you do know Bullet uses Kevlar in the construction of their boats. For an additional charge they will build you a hull that is largely Kevlar.

15. BBC SPONSOR
    I have a 2012 Bullet 21SS that is an all kevlar build. Hull weight is 1050lbs.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorman1 View Post
    But is it bullet proof?
    Hydrosport advertised that the Kevlar material was. They wanted you to believe the boat was bullet proof.

17. Member
    Tim is the whole boat Kevlar or just the hull?

Edit: Tim was nice enough to PM me and yes the whole boat is Kevlar.
    Last edited by gehol; 07-15-2018 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    Think that boat was built by Stratos.
    Steve, you always post some nice pics. Thanks for that yesteryear pic. What launch ramp was that, appears familiar.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

19. Banned
    Champion made a few Kevlar hulled boats can't remember the year. Not sure why they never took off just figured cost was the main factor.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HaulinBass View Post
    Steve, you always post some nice pics. Thanks for that yesteryear pic. What launch ramp was that, appears familiar.
    Old 86 maybe?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast