Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    I understand that but intermittent problems are not always easy to find. I am sure they will replace the main board or more this time. As far as writing a response recognizing his examples and troubleshooting are not needed to know he has been trying to help them troubleshoot. Problem not found is a common response because many of the units in fact have no problem and a test that does not fail is about all they can do on first try. Failing to fix the user problem the next step will be to replace the most common part associated with the set of circumstances given. I was in electronics repair for just short of 40 years. Nobody wants to hear something is still broken after thought they had it fixed. There is no conspiracy to make people mad. It is also expensive to go through a repair sequence for the repair several times. While I can understand frustration for a unit not working properly,starting out mad and bitter is not helpful for anyone.(refer to post#1) Bob
    Hey Bob, understand the side from the tech's view. My problem is that I have gone through many many troubleshooting steps to eliminate possible environmental issues that could be causing the problem. Number 1, NO one has acknowledged these steps and Number 2, Humminbird has not even acknowledged receiving the pictures or video of the issue. I believe if the technician saw all the elimination steps and video, they would have to conclude the unit has a problem, EVEN if they cannot recreate the problem on their bench.

I have never raised an issue like this with a company before, maybe I'm getting old and tired of having to battle for service. I'm fairly tech savvy. Have run technical support centers both hands on and remote. I'm sure this unit has a problem. My only real step to take and PROVE it, will be to buy another Helix 5 and run it. I've thought about it but then where does the cost go? Hopefully Humminbird will determine there is an issue this time and repair or replace. I'm pretty happy with the performance (when it is working).

Doug

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DougL58 View Post
    Hey Bob, understand the side from the tech's view. My problem is that I have gone through many many troubleshooting steps to eliminate possible environmental issues that could be causing the problem. Number 1, NO one has acknowledged these steps and Number 2, Humminbird has not even acknowledged receiving the pictures or video of the issue. I believe if the technician saw all the elimination steps and video, they would have to conclude the unit has a problem, EVEN if they cannot recreate the problem on their bench.

I have never raised an issue like this with a company before, maybe I'm getting old and tired of having to battle for service. I'm fairly tech savvy. Have run technical support centers both hands on and remote. I'm sure this unit has a problem. My only real step to take and PROVE it, will be to buy another Helix 5 and run it. I've thought about it but then where does the cost go? Hopefully Humminbird will determine there is an issue this time and repair or replace. I'm pretty happy with the performance (when it is working).

Doug
    Doug,

I understand your frustration. I had/have an issue with my Helix 12. I worked with support and did a bunch of trouble shooting. The support person knew the issue and suggested to send my unit in for repair. When the unit was returned all the email said was updated software. Well that wasn't true since I had already updated the software and low and behold the problem wasn't fixed. All support had to do was load some waypoints into the unit and they would have seen the issue as it was easily to recreate. I had to call support again and go through the whole problem again, send them one of my .gpx files and I also sent them pics. Now they want me to send the unit again. More money out of my pocket. I hope you have better luck with your issue!
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

3. Member
    Update from Humminbird on my Helix 5. I messaged several times before I finally received a confirmation that the information I sent, including pictures and video, were provided to the service department. Here is the note included from the tech in the email indicating my Helix 5 was shipping back. We'll see if this works, but expect that it will now. I'm happy for the service, just unhappy I need to go through so many steps to prove there was a problem.

Attached Images Attached Images

4. Member
    Hope so. Let us know

5. Member
    Ok, so I don't know what to say. Got the shipment from Humminbird. Note said replaced control head. I see that means a new unit, GREAT, but no....... ! There is a rattle. A part is loose and is rattling all around inside. You can hear it rattle all the way from one side to the other. So, do I send it back and go without a finder at the helm for another month or so, OR do I open it up myself to see what it is?

Quote Originally Posted by DougL58 View Post
    Ok, so I don't know what to say. Got the shipment from Humminbird. Note said replaced control head. I see that means a new unit, GREAT, but no....... ! There is a rattle. A part is loose and is rattling all around inside. You can hear it rattle all the way from one side to the other. So, do I send it back and go without a finder at the helm for another month or so, OR do I open it up myself to see what it is?

Call Them
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

7. Member
    So here is the response from Humminbird. I would have preferred if they would have shipped another new unit out and let me send this one back but it is a workable offer.

Dear Mr. Lowry,

Thank you for contacting Humminbird Customer Service. We do apologize. Have you tried to use the unit since it's been returned from repair? Does unit work? If not the unit would need to come back in for service, if so then we would suggest using the unit and then sending it back once the season is over. Turn around time for repair is 3 to 5 days once we receive it. When you are ready to send in please call customer service and we will email you a shipping label to send back to service.

If we can assist you further on this subject or any other Humminbird related questions please feel free email us again or contact our Customer Resource Center at 1-800-633-1468 to speak with a Customer Service Representative. Our hours are Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Wednesday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Good Fishing and Boating!

Note to Bird repair center. Shake unit prior to placing in box. LOL.

9. Member
    Follow up on this. I have had the replacement Helix 5 out several times now with no problems! So the unit I had was faulty, just took a few months and back and forth to get it fixed/replaced. Humminbird did warranty the unit even though it came out of warranty while troubleshooting and they have offered to correct the faulty replacement unit when I can ship it in,(when fishing slows down this winter).

10. Member
    I'm glad you got your HB taken care of. I had a similar incident with my Helix 5 getting funky depth readings. My scale on the side was right, but the main depth reading would be way off. I ended up having to reset the defaults and doing a software update. That was a couple of months ago and so far it has taken care of the problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12