Trailer Tongue Jack Capacity

The time has come to replace the trailer tongue jack on my boat. The boat is a Nitro Z7 which weighs 1700 pounds, and when you factor in the weight of the motor (150 Optimax), the jackplate, and power poles, the total weight will be well over 2000 pounds. I know the jack only lifts the tongue weight, but I am wondering what trailer jack capacity I should be looking at. I would rather have something stronger than the bare minimum requirement to air on the side of safety. Thanks for any advice.

Set the tongue jack on a bathroom scale and buy a jack that exceeds that number.

3. Member
    The scale answer is correct. In reality, a heavy outboard, poles and jackplate make the tongue weight LESS because they are behind the axle.

Just get the biggest one you can find within reason. No one ever had a problem from having a jack that was too heavy duty. The stock one on my Ranger was rated for 750 lbs and eventually came apart. Certainly rated for more than twice (probably more than 3 times) what it was lifting, but I replaced it with one rated for 1,500 lbs and haven't regretted it for even a second.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Fulton makes a single and dual wheel 1,600 lb Jack that sounds like it would fit your needs very well and on Amazon they are nicely priced.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

6. Member
    Thanks for all the replies. I just got a 1500 pound Fulton jack and it is night and day better than what came on the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Z7Mike View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I just got a 1500 pound Fulton jack and it is night and day better than what came on the boat.
    You did good !