2018 250 Pro XS losing prime idling

2018 Mercury 250 Pro XS #2B526067. Motor has 60 hours. This is my 10th motor in 15 years and have never experienced this. When idling around 3-4 mph the motor dies. Bulb is completely flat. Pump it 12 times idle some more and it dies again. Did this 7 times when fishing yesterday. I just had it to the dealer and they say there is nothing they can do, everything Checks out. March through May motor never ran out of fuel, since May
    I have had the issue. One thing I have noticed, up till may when you popped the fuel cap the tank vented hard now it barely vents if at all. Any suggestions?

2. Member
    I would suggest getting Merc involved. No reason for a shop to tell you there is nothing they can do about a boat under warranty that won’t idle without dying and I can’t imagine Mercury would be real happy to know they have certified dealers out there giving that kind of “service.”

3. Member
    Dealer ran motor in test tank for a hour and it never died.

4. Member
    If the boat is new also,then I would inspect the Fuel Demand Valve.

5. Member
    How is that inspected. New 2018 Ranger Z520L
    Last edited by TAH; 07-16-2018 at 02:12 PM.

6. Member
    Your Dealer should know how to test and inspect the FDV.

7. Member
    Thanks Savage.

8. Member
    My new boat and 250 Pro XS is doing the same thing. Did you ever find out what was causing this?

9. Member
    I got a 2017 Pro XS.. On a long idle mine did the same thing when I first got it.
    They rebuilt (changed out the check valves in the pulse pump) and have never had another problem.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sounds like you either have a supply restriction OR a weak pulse pump. These can easily be tested and confirmed with a Vacuum Gauge installed right at the engine (monitoring the vacuum across the RPM range, which should never exceed 3" hg, on this system).

Can also monitor pulse pump CAPABILITY with the same setup (by forcing a restriction on the supply side of the gauge). This is where a weak pump will show up.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor