Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Versatile Smoker/Grill That Will Last (For My Dad).

My dad needs a new grill, he's got a cheap Char Broil barrel grill (no fire box) that's about to fall apart. I'm a huge Weber guy with 5 in my arsenal; 18 &14 WSM, 22 & 26 kettle, and 3 burner gas. Before buying my gaser I would use a kettle for grilling and WSM for smoking, got the 26 kettle and have smoked some ribs on it several times. The thing with a WSM is they're kind of a pain to clean after using. I was wanting to get him an all in one quality unit that will last. He does the normal grilling and smokes mostly ribs and brisket, not so great at briskets but he tries (I cant convince him to get a probe). Thought about something like a Kamado Joe or Primo but damn I want one too!! How is regular grilling on an offset? I know there great for smoking but what about burgers, stakes, pork chops, etc? He's got a buddy with a pellet smoker or grill not sure what and I'm not familiar at all with pellet grills but his buddy loves it and dad might might be interested in one. Basically I just want to get him a good cooker that he can grill and smoke on with not much effort involved to do either. Also considering the new Weber Summit charcoal grill but its priced like a ceramic although it might just be the best alternative. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Member
    PK (Portable Kitchen) makes a nice charcoal you can do a lot with and they have a huge following. I just got a pellet grill and can't believe how easy it is to turn out good product. I only use it for smoking. I like you have a bunch of cookers. Probably gonna get rid of the stick cookers because the pellet is so much easier. Good luck JD
    2020 BCB Lynx 300 pro xs 4s
    2013 BCB Puma 250 pro xs
    WPS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogbus View Post
    PK (Portable Kitchen) makes a nice charcoal you can do a lot with and they have a huge following. I just got a pellet grill and can't believe how easy it is to turn out good product. I only use it for smoking. I like you have a bunch of cookers. Probably gonna get rid of the stick cookers because the pellet is so much easier. Good luck JD
    The PK is made here in Arkansas!! I remember my grandpaw had one when I was a kid. I haven't looked into them much since they came back out but need to.

4. Member
    WPS. Good luck
    2020 BCB Lynx 300 pro xs 4s
    2013 BCB Puma 250 pro xs
    WPS

I have an old OK Joe offset. Works well as a charcoal grill.

6. Banned
    I think there is a camp chef or something with a sear box on the side. I seen a cabelas pellet grill that has a slider heat deflector so you can also sear in the middle of it. I don't own a pellet grill yet but soon. Just observations and letting you know.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clif Kincaid View Post
    I think there is a camp chef or something with a sear box on the side. I seen a cabelas pellet grill that has a slider heat deflector so you can also sear in the middle of it. I don't own a pellet grill yet but soon. Just observations and letting you know.
    His buddy has a pellet grill of some sort and brags on it which has caught my dad attention but after doing some research today the PK might be the pick but I still need to do some research.

8. Member
    Teach him 'Ring of Fire" and give him a Weber, nothing cheaper and better.

9. Member
    I've got a 26" Weber kettle and am thinking of getting a Slow N Sear for it. If it works as advertised I may go that route for him.

We have a couple of the Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro grills and the quality of these grills have been great. We also have 3 friends that have purchased the same smoker and all speak highly of this smoker. Smoke Daddy currently has a special going on whereby they have discounted the Pellet Pro 680 to $699 (free shipping and no taxes outside the State of Illinois), and are including 100lbs of wood pellets with the order. That's basically 5 bags of wood pellets, or about $100 worth which makes this a very good deal. The website link is:

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product-ca...pellet-grills/

Just got a Rec Tec Stampede, $900 is not cheap but it is now my grill and smoker. After a week using it I wish I had done it sooner. The ease of a pellet grill is unreal. Basically set temp on the controller or phone, put meat on and take it off when done! Even has 2 probes built in and will alert you when the internal temp you want is reached. You do nothing else, do not open it to check till its done. A song as you leave it closed it will keep the temp right where you set it! The say “if your looking your not cooking”.
    Vexus DVX19

" A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

" A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

Get him a 26" Weber and call it a day, you cant beat a Weber for its versatility! Show him the snake method on the 26" Weber and he will have no problem smoking a brisket or ribs.

15. Member
    I would highly recommend a BGE, Kamado joe, or primo. I have 2 large BGEs and have had them for over 10 years. The versatility is unmatched. For what you have in all of those webers, you could’ve bought a large BGE and maybe saved a little $$. The price is a big turn off, but you’ll never have to replace it. When you do get one, you’ll wonder why you waited so long. I use mine at least 4 tim s a week.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwell View Post
    Get him a 26" Weber and call it a day, you cant beat a Weber for its versatility! Show him the snake method on the 26" Weber and he will have no problem smoking a brisket or ribs.
    Leaning toward that. I have one myself and use the snake method but want to try the Slow N Sear so see how it works as it has really good reviews. If it works as advertised I may throw one in for him also

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Leaning toward that. I have one myself and use the snake method but want to try the Slow N Sear so see how it works as it has really good reviews. If it works as advertised I may throw one in for him also
    Nice, for what they are you cant beat it.

I have a Portable Kitchen and love it. Excellent quality and very versatile. I mostly grill, but have smoked several pork loins using indirect heat.
    sooner fish
    1977 Ranger 175-A ~ Mercury 1500

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits." ~Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar for 1894

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast