Thread: Trailer Brakes

Trailer Brakes

How long are the trailer brakes good for on the newer trailers? 2016 and up.

2. Member
    And has anyone else had their trailer sound like it was about to rattle apart every time it hit a piece of uneven pavement or went over a speed bump? Can't figure out what is causing that noise

3. Banned
    Brake longevity is solely dependent upon mechanical failures. Example, if the slide pins of the calipers freeze up, brake pistons will not retract once pressure is released causing premature brake failure of the brake pads and possible rotor warpage. This is more prone on trailers because you are submerging the system when backing into water. Hope it helps. I think all trailers for the most part are noisy.

4. Member
    The brakes on the driver side of boat seem fine. Its the passenger side that is messed up. I haven't taken the wheel off just yet, but did look up under the trailer and noticed that the inside pad is not even making contact with the rotor. Outside pad is creating a lot of brake dust and the rotor is starting to looked grooved. It has been creating brake dust on that side for a while now but I just assumed they were cheap metallic pads because that's what they do. My old trailer never had brake issues and it was 9 years old when I finally replaced it with this one.

As for the trailer noise, I've never noticed it to be this dang noisy.

5. Member
    You really don't put semi-metallic pads on a trailer. The metallic threads will rust, and rust (ferrous oxide) is extremely abrasive (aka like sand paper). When you notice something different, the time to investigate is then, not a month or two later. I've gotten into the habit of towing my boat to the ramp, and feeling both hubs before launching. Ditto on returning home. I never miss a trip, and I have never been stranded due to a wheel/brake failure in more years of boating than I can imagine. I also change the motor's lower unit fluid 3 times a year. No better way to find early signs of water intrusion BEFORE you damage bearings or gears...

If one wheel behaves differently, it is trying to let you know there's a problem.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

6. Member
    It’s whatever brake components basscat put on the trailer when they built it for me. I haven’t changed them or made any modifications and the hubs feel fine

7. Member
    Mines about a year old and it don’t rattle but it drives me crazy because it squeaks so much. Everything tight and looks good.

8. Member
    I put pads on my 2016 this past spring.
    Basscat!

9. Member
    I had a bolt on the caliper of one of my trailer brakes come loose causing my brake to cease up. I'm not saying this is your issue. I just suggest you might want to check yours.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRR884 View Post
    I put pads on my 2016 this past spring.
    Were they that worn already?

11. Scraps
    The noise, could that be your spring bushings. I had to replace those on my last trailer. Don't know a lot about BCB's trailers.

I'm still not happy with the brakes on my MarineMaster trailer. Seems the port side calipers are working ok, but starboard side are hardly applying. Need to check the inner side of the rotor. Other than a mechanical issue, I don't see what would be causing this.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHERNYANKEE View Post
    Were they that worn already?
    There was nothing left on one side. I replaced both sides, bled, and now monitoring
    Basscat!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    The noise, could that be your spring bushings. I had to replace those on my last trailer. Don't know a lot about BCB's trailers.
    I have torsion axles on my trailer so no leaf spring bushings.

I did speak to basscat and they go through a supplier for their brakes and suspension components and told me to reach out to them as they warranty their products for 5 years. Will be pulling my wheels off one day this week when it's not raining