Non C channel trailers

Im lookking at a boat that has pretty much everything i want except it doesnt have the c channel trailer. This is obviously a concern for me due to rust. While i dont understand why anybody wouldnt get the c channel, this is my option. Should i pass on the boat?
    They aint got hands, set the hook

2. Member
    If the trailer is not abused, I wouldn't think twice. I know it's not the "best" option, but I've never owned anything but tube trailers for 30 years. Served me fine. Ex. My last boat was a '97 Nitro sitting on its original tube trailer. I just sold it last year and although it was rough and rusted in a few places, it still towed the boat 7 hours to Falcon and Amistad a few times a year.
    2014 920/SHO

3. Member
    I have the c but would not let the tube stop me. A big reason why is the axle is tube no matter what and mine gets water in it. So my trailer may no last longer then a tube
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

My last boat rode on a tube trailer and it stilled looked fine after 15 years. My Phoenix has a tube trailer and I'll be tired of the boat by the time the trailer rusts through.

5. Member
    Ive heard for years all the guys saying tube frames rust out and are junk but still havent seen a picture of one. Ive owned numerous tube frames including Phoenix. They are like anything else if cared for will out last the life of the boat.

6. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    when my friends and I fish the rivers down east near the coast we usually go directly to a local lake at home and dunk the trailers until the fill to the tongue pull up and rinse the dunk again just in case but many of us have tube trailers, I do recommend a c channel if you fish brackish water all the time.
    I will have a C Channel on my next one just because I may fish more tidal rivers in the future but I defiantly like the look and the extra strength of the tube style
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    My last boat rode on a tube trailer and it stilled looked fine after 15 years. My Phoenix has a tube trailer and I'll be tired of the boat by the time the trailer rusts through.
    Yep I’d be more concerned about the cost of repowering before needing to replace a 7-8k trailer.

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

8. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    I think a tube trailer looks better and looks stronger. Only downside would be if you ever had a wire short in it, or had to rewire the trailer.
    I had 1999 Champion on a tube trailer and tho it had a little rust, non of the rust was on the tube part. It was on corner part of the fender steps. Must of held water there when it rained or something.
    Buy the boat & show us pics!

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BluBird920 View Post
    Yep I’d be more concerned about the cost of repowering before needing to replace a 7-8k trailer.

If you aren't planning on fishing brackish water, I wouldn't worry about the tube v C Channel if you found the right boat.

djd

I have had only one boat with a c channel. Don’t fish brackish or salt. Never had an issue even when I bought a used older boat with a tube trailer. My boat now is tube and bought it new.
    2018 Phoenix 919, Mercury 225 Pro XS
    2016 Triton 179TrX, Mercury 115 4s
    1995 Bass Tracker 175Pro, 40hp Force
    1985 Bass Tracker 1800 Johnson 150 (I called it the lead sled)