Bunk board supports

Every boat I've owned has had the support brackets that hold the bunk boards on rust after a few years. I know the carpet staying wet is part of the problem. Does anyone think changing the lag bolts to stainless steel would help? Thanks.
    2013 Phoenix 721 XP
    2013 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and HDS 9 gen 3
    Twin 10' Talons

2. Member

USA

It couldn't hurt.

3. Member
    The rust is a result of the galvanic corrosion between the mild steel support and the copper based preservatives in the pressure treated bunk boards. Keeping good thick paint will help as will a waterproof nonconductive layer between the bracket and the wet carpet. The stainless lags won’t help much with the bracket rust but will certainly help with fastener life.

4. mikesxpress
    The lags should already be stainless?

5. mikesxpress
    Dennis the lags should already be stainless?

I got all my bracket made from 3/16" stainless last year and that solved the corrosion issue. The galvanized does not hold up to the board chemicals.
    Prior to my SS bracket replacement, I had abated the brackets, applied 2 coats of cold galvanize, then a top coat of plastic dip. They will hold up quite a few years like this.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Dennis the lags should already be stainless?

I got all my bracket made from 3/16" stainless last year and that solved the corrosion issue. The galvanized does not hold up to the board chemicals.
    Prior to my SS bracket replacement, I had abated the brackets, applied 2 coats of cold galvanize, then a top coat of plastic dip. They will hold up quite a few years like this.
    Thanks for the info. I didn't think they would put stainless in from the factory. It appears the factory ones are galvanized.
    Last edited by Va Phoenix; 07-16-2018 at 11:17 PM. Reason: add
    2013 Phoenix 721 XP
    2013 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and HDS 9 gen 3
    Twin 10' Talons

7. Member
    I have seen aluminum brackets for sale on some trailer sites.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay