Low rpms on a new 225 SHO

I recently bought a new Bass Cat with a 225 SHO and a hotfoot. The first couple of times out, I could only get up to 4400 rpms. I noticed a stop bolt under the hotfoot pedal that was limiting the pedal travel so I screwed it down to get more pedal. After that, I still only got about 4900 rpms. The picture shows the motor throttle with the hotfoot totally depressed. The dealer says I have too much throttle now. He says the arrow on the casting has to point directly at the line in the piece with the 7 holes in it. Is it true that too much throttle can lower rpms??? If I line up the arrow and the line I will be right back where I started.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    My Caracal and SHO usually gets 5900 this time of year though being hot and humid 5600 is what I see usually. Yours is definitely low a good 1000-1300 this time of year depending on where you live.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

3. Member
    Take cowl off, remove the top cover assembly, tilt motor up, turn key on, press hot foot and look at the butterfly. If it open up to 90ish degrees you got no issue with hot foot and throttle control.

4. Member
    I would set it back to where the marks align. They are there for a reason.
    How low is the motor set and what prop do you have?

5. Member
    I did set it back so the arrow and the line are now lined up. Haven't had a chance to get back on the water. The prop is a Yamaha SHO Vmax 25-T2, 151/8.

6. Member
    On a new boat, I would be making the dealer meet me at the water and fix it.