Missing fish on new rods...

I bought a Hammer 7'3 Heavy and a 7'3 X-Heavy rod last month.

I put the same reels (8.2:1) on them that I fish on my other rods.

I have missed more fish on these two rods than I can keep track of. I have been using them almost exclusively for jigs - 3/8 to 1/2, in basic structure like lay downs on the bank and timber off the edge of the channel. No heavy mats or anything like that.

The X-Heavy seems to have a worse hookup rate than the Heavy.

Could there be anything different about the action/profile of these rods than I'm not used to?

My other main jig rod is a GLX 7'5 MH X-Fast and I don't see to miss near as many fish with it.

Maybe I need to stop making excuses and just set the hook properly?

2. Member
    I own a 7H and a 73XH. I throw 1/4-1/2oz stuff on my 7H and I am not missing fish. The 73XH I use strictly for frogs and Flipping. In my personal opinion the 73XH is not a great 3/8-1/2oz jig rod, 3/4-1oz yes. I own 3 Hammer rods and really enjoy them.

For me I feel like the hammer rods fish about 1/2 a power less than their rating.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

3. Member
    Possibly the rod is more sensitive and you are reacting to fast and missing? Idk best I can come up with

4. Member
    Appreciate the replies. I dont think I'm overreacting. I'm seeing fish swimming with the lure and then missing them, only to find the trailer of my jig torn or missing. I think it's just a run of bad luck and short strikes (small fish maybe?).

I haven't fished the X-Heavy a lot. I actually put it up for sale because I just don't have much need for it. I like the feel of the Heavy a lot. I'll stick with it and hope my kick changes.

5. Banned
    The extra heavy is too stiff for jig fishing in my opinion Its a better suited for froggin it’s so stiff your probably blowing there mouth apart if you’re doing a zona hookset with that rod

6. Banned
    And if your used to the glx I’m not sure why the guy thought that that hammer is more sensitive than what your used too lol

7. Member
    Probably because the price of the rod doesn't mean more sensitivity.

8. Joe4d
    no give in the tip,, fish tries to suck it in,,, rod doesnt give so all fish gets is trailer.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxxlue View Post
    The extra heavy is too stiff for jig fishing in my opinion Its a better suited for froggin it’s so stiff your probably blowing there mouth apart if you’re doing a zona hookset with that rod
    i bet your right

10. Member
    I have fished both, and in this case yes it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy1 View Post
    Probably because the price of the rod doesn't mean more sensitivity.

11. Member
    The extra fast MH GLX is a different rod than the Hammer rods you are using. The first thing is the GLX extra fast action (BCR) is very stiff, the MH power is a little lighter as well so you are probably getting full penetration with a lot less force. The Hammer rods use a versatile blank that will have some flex that goes further down the blank meaning you have to pull back a little more to maximize hook penetration. This happened to me the first time I used a Megabass Super Orochi, I was told it was a regular action, and it was very sensitive but I hated it, it was like jig fishing wit a cranking rod. The Hammer rods in the heavy power are a little faster but they have much more flex than the GLX in an extra fast action. BTW, I have a 6'9" heavy Hammer and I'm on my 3rd season with it, the best spinnerbait/chatterbait rod I ever used. In fact it is the only rod I ever used for chatterbaits that in 2.5 seasons I still haven't lost a single fish.

12. Banned
    I don’t miss many with my hammer rods but I don’t drop the rod and swing for the fence. I use more of a Carolina rig style hook set. I reel down to load the rod and lean into them, if that makes since. It may not be textbook but it works for me with hammer and falcon rods. They both are a bit more parabolic than most other rods.

13. Member
    The hammer heavy I have isn't sensitive enough for a jig or any other bottom contact rod. Unless they're smashing it you won't feel them pick it up and what you feel as a strike is them spitting it because you pulled it out of their mouth.

14. Member
    I wasn’t impressed with the Hammer Rods I tried. Not very sensitive at all.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    The hammer heavy I have isn't sensitive enough for a jig or any other bottom contact rod. Unless they're smashing it you won't feel them pick it up and what you feel as a strike is them spitting it because you pulled it out of their mouth.
    Exactly
    my experience with my heavy action Hammer,fishes very dead,my Falcon cara's make the Hammer feel like an ugly stick

16. Member
    Sometimes you just have to chalk it up to the fact that a particular rod may not fit the way you are trying to use it due to your tendencies. Your hook set maybe or the way you are fighting a fish maybe. Thinking back over the years I`ve had 3 rods that stand out in my mind as complete disasters. One many years ago was a Berkley rod that I tried for Tx Rigs and could not keep them buttoned. Lost 50% of the fish I set the hook on. Another was Kistler composite cranking rod that drove me nuts with the amount of lost fish. Then the worst of all was St. Croix Legend Elite 7'-6" MHMF rod that I used for pitching jigs. I loved this rod but lost so many fish I had to let it go. Not sure of the exact reasons but as soon as I quit using these sticks my problems went away.

Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    I've always felt like they were very sensitive for bottom contact baits. What rod are you using to throw jigs?

18. Member
    I have 7'3" Extra Heavy and the 7'3" Heavy. The Extra Heavy is great for jigs and worming. I get more hook sets on that rod than some of my other rods (loomis, Powell).

I agree with Maxxlue, also I’ve had issues with a super heavy jig rod coming unloaded when I pull a bass from cover into open water. Your reels should be fast enough, I would just go a power down on your rods. Keep the xh for the heaviest of grass. Also, I like fast rods for the power, but you can lose a few more as opposed to a moderate fast, it kinda depends on how you fish though.