Cut the Link Cable from my Ultrex to Humminbird

Dropped my Ultrex in the water today and soon discovered that the universal sonar cable and the ethernet cable from the Ultrex linking to my Humminbird must have been bound up in the bracket. Both cables got roughed up to the point that the sonar and the Link quit working.

I got home and found that it appears I can just replace the sonar cable. But the Link cable is a different story. Is this something I can get fixed?

Would it be possible for me to just solder the individual wires within the Link cable back together?

Thanks.

2. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Universal sonar that was damaged is a coaxial cable having a specific characteristic impedance carrying high freq signal information. No real way to cut out damaged portion and splice as many of the important signals are erroneously reflected/lost at soldered joint unless you have access and use a TDR oscilloscope or similar test instrument.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 07-15-2018 at 08:20 AM.

You have nothing to lose.
    I don't have a TDR oscilloscope -- but I do have a BDC Nikon scope I'd loan you.. It is a 3 by 9 variable.

4. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas

5. Member
    The Link cable is soldered to the controller. You have to replace the controller. I did read somewhere here on BBC that somebody who accidentally did the same thing had somebody skilled in micro soldering desolder the original connection in the controller, and then solder the cut portion of the cable to the controller. Still lots of cable there.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    Link cable is just a cat5e ethernet cable.
    I soldered a male connector at the head and use just a standard humminbird enet cable to the ethernet switch.

The link cable from the module is a crossover cable, so when reattaching have to swap a couple of wires. Color for color won't work.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    The Link cable is soldered to the controller. You have to replace the controller. I did read somewhere here on BBC that somebody who accidentally did the same thing had somebody skilled in micro soldering desolder the original connection in the controller, and then solder the cut portion of the cable to the controller. Still lots of cable there.
    Probably me... Take the cover off the head and the control board is located in a plastic water tight casing. Remove the casing from the head and bring it to a local electronics shop. Have them resolder the cut end of the cable back to the board. The cable runs through the plastic casing and you will have to re epoxy to create a water tight seal. Cost me 35$ to have done.

8. Member
    Cut mine and had it repaired at Marine Repair Center in Springfield, MO. They did an amazing job and you can't even tell it was ever cut in half. Works perfectly again and it was like $30 for the repair. I took the control head off and sent it to them along with the other half of the cable.

2002 Ranger 175VS - Mercury 125
    2006 Ranger Z20 - Mercury 225
    2008 Ranger TR-177 - Mercury 115
    1987 Ranger 350V - Mercury 150
    2010 Ranger Z521 - Mercury 250
    2012 Ranger Z518 - Mercury 200
    2015 Ranger Z521C - Mercury 250 ProXS
    1993 Ranger 481V - Mercury 175 ProXS
    2018 Ranger Z519 - Mercury 225 ProXS
    2020 Ranger RB190 - Mercury 115 ProXS