Thread: Bilge vent

Bilge vent

I have a 1990 Stratos 266fs that has vents in the back. I have noticed that in choppy conditions, water is entering through them. I noticed that on a lot of the newer boats, they don’t have these vents, am I safe to block off the vents to keep water from coming in?

2. Banned
    I don't think you can cover them without violating CG rules. I may be wrong though.

3. Member
    I have an onboard poly fuel tank that is vented to the outside of the boat, so I’ve never noticed any fumes inside the bilge. My other concern is that the water that comes in through the vent openings comes down close to my batteries. That seems like it should be a concern as well. I just wonder if it was a bad idea design-wise and that’s why they stopped doing it. I’ve only seen it on a few other early 90s Stratos & Javelins.

4. Member
    After doing a lot more research, I was able to figure out that there should be a collector box behind the louvered vents. I don’t have that piece on either side, so if I buy a couple and put them behind the vents, it should help keep water out.

I have the exact same vents on my '92 254....mine does NOT have any type of collector box behind them...How did you come to this conclusion...If I might ask?

6. Member
    I have a 1989 266FS and don't have anything behind the vents.

7. Member
    Could always block this off and add a couple clamshell vents on the back deck.