Need some help...lower unit leak

It’s a 2013 225hp pro xs. Looked good this morning, but after I trailered to the boat ramp I saw this. I changed the gear lube in Feb. and everything has been good until today. It doesn’t really look like gear lube unless it has changed from the hours on the motor. I took a few photos hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me. It looks like it leaked from the small hole I got circled but I’m not sure. Im no boat mechanic but I got pretty good sense when it comes to repairing things. Any repair ideas on where to start would be great.
    Last edited by Toads; 07-14-2018 at 10:34 AM.

2. Member
    guess i need help posting photos

You say it's comming from "the small hole" --If its at the top of the gearcase and it's gear lube, odds are it's comming from the shift shaft seal.

4. Member
    What color is the fluid leaking? Have you checked the condition of the fluid currently in your l/u? If a leak is suspected, the lower unit will need to be pressure tested to detect the source.

5. Member
    It’s not the gear lube...I checked it(no water and different color). I assume it’s the 2 cycle oil. It seems to be leaking where it bolts up...closer to above the prop area

6. Member
    You will need to look under the cowl for the source of the leak. Oil pump is one possibility. Post your engine serial number for help from the mod's.

Like said -- pull cowl and inspect.. A few weeks back my 2013 started leaking at the cap of the engine mounted oil reservoir. I finger tightened on the water and it stripped..( plastic on plastic)

8. Member
    Does 1B935530 sound like a good serial number?

9. Member
    I checked the engine mounted resivor and it’s clean with tight cap. Everything looks clean...there is very minimal oil residue in the bottom of the engine compartment(so small I can’t pinpoint what it could be). All this happened while trailering and never started the engine. Could I start engine to locate problem or no?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Does 1B935530 sound like a good serial number?
    If from your engine - yes.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax