Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Prop for ultrex 112 vibrating

Just installed my new ultrex and took on maiden voyage yesterday. I was getting a strong vibration when running, went back to truck and took prop off to make sure all was good and still having issue. Then took prop off and watched the prop shaft spin with no prop on and it looked perfect. My buddy and I then looked at the prop and noticed the “sleeve” that the prop shaft slides into is cut off center. One side wall is significantly thicker then the other.

Has anyone ever seen a prop have this issue? Not worried at all, just ordered a new prop to see if it looks like that as well. If not will let Minn Kota know. I am sure they would take care of it.

Just curious, not upset at all as this is minor.

2. Member
    Every prop I’ve gotten from minn Kota in the last two years has been like this. Some to the point of being unusable. I went and bought 4 last fall and found one that only vibrates around 60% and returned the rest. Just as you describe the sleeve was on an angle and you could watch the clearance between the sleeve and housing change as it spun. They had no trouble making the 80 lb props perfectly but they are apparently struggling with the 112s.

No problem here.. counting mine I've helped install 4 of the 36 volt Ultrex units.

4. Member
    Kipawa. Thank me later

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Kipawa. Thank me later
    I've heard of these....would using this prop null the warranty though?

6. Member
    Received the new MK prop last night and looks totally different on the inside where shaft goes in. Old messed up prop that came with new ultrex has a manufacture date of 9/17 and new prop has 4/18. Looks like they changed something. I will let Minn Kota know tomorrow. I have never posted pics here but I have some if I can figure out how to.

7. Member
    Actually, I had the same problem with my new 80lb on its maiden voyage last week. The first time I hit the button it vibrated like a jack-hammer. I took the nut off and checked everything including running it with no prop. Nothing wrong. I re-attached the prop and tightened it down significantly this time and most, and I say most not all of the vibration went away. It still vibrates at speeds over an 8-10 setting. After reading other's posts I'm gonna check out that misalignment of the prop sleeve too. Sounds like a bad batch of props. Otherwise I love this new TM.

8. Member
    Well semi figured out how to post pictures. The first link is the prop that came with my new ultrex 112. The second link is the picture of the old and new prop together. The prop on right is the newer prop I just bought. Strange!

https://ibb.co/ghBDDd

https://ibb.co/j2juKJ

Have not ran the trolling motor since new prop came in. Minor issue on what is an amazing trolling motor!
    Last edited by TxRebel90; 07-15-2018 at 08:32 PM.

9. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    good info and thanks for posting this
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    I've heard of these....would using this prop null the warranty though?
    I honestly dont know. It's easy to change back to a weedless wedge though

11. Member
    I contacted MK today and told them about my issue with the new motor having a lot of vibration first time I used it. They suggested that I turn it 180 degrees and see if that helps. They also said to look at the shaft without the prop and see if it was possibly bent when it was powered up without the prop. I said that it was just fine and that rotating the prop 180 didn't fix it either. They are now going to send me a replacement prop. Fingers crossed this works.
    Otherwise, the Ultrex is one sweet trolling motor.

12. Member
    Great to hear, hopefully I can get a replacement as well. Which phone number did you call? I tried multiple times today and was getting a busy signal all day. _Finally just sent an email.

13. Member
    800-227-6433

14. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Yeah I got a busy signal also when I tried calling them recently. That ws mid day so the next morning I called bright right after they are open and got thru.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

15. Member
    I called early today and got ahold of them. After sending them pics they are sending a new prop and also a box and shipping label to send back bad prop so they can investigate. Great customer service! This was not an ultrex issue as all the 112’s use this prop for all the people concerned this was another bad mark on the ultrex. Highly impressed with the ultrex!

16. Member
    Hmm I stumbled across this thread and I'm having a slight vibration also on my 80lb ultrex, I was thinking it was just something that I had no control of... hmm now you all got me thinking mine might be screwed up also... I'll have to take it off and see if mine looks like yours. Thanks for this thread!

17. Member
    Yeah, that vibration is no different from what you feel in the steering wheel if one of the wheels on your car is out of balance. You really can see the difference from one side to the other of the sleeve holes in the MK wedge props that we are all complaining about. TXRebel90's pictures show exactly what's going on. MK is sending me a new one too so hopefully it has a nice, even spindle hole. They were happy to replace it so that tells me that this issue is well documented and widely known.

Still loving the Ultrex though, despite this issue.

18. Member
    Just received the new replacement prop from MK and it looks great. The spindle hole is nice and centered. Tried it out at full speed and there was no, and I repeat no vibration. I can send you pictures of the first one vs the replacement.

19. Member
    I would like pics of both as what to look at. My new one vibrates very bad. Going to take prop off and investigate this evening.

20. Member
    Are there other props besides the MinnKota props for a 112 Ultrex? I have two props and both vibrate. I have no confidence that a 3rd prop from MK would be better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast