Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Garmin & Navionics ?

Has anyone heard when navionics will be availible for garmin units ?Hasnt been mentioned in awhile.

2. Member
    I hope soon. I’m currently running a Lowrance st the console and a garmin on the deck and trying to fish points this summer without decent mapping is killing me. I’m debating putting my HDS 5 back on the deck just for mapping.
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4S
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades
    Lowrance HDS Live 12
    Lowrance HDS Live 9

3. Member
    Yup. My main lakes are considerably more accurate with navionics.
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

4. Member
    Me Too........

5. Member
    I have the 2018 Lakevu UHD there are very few lakes in my area the detail that is needed MAX DEPTH doesn't show channels or anything like that .Navionics has always these things($200 wasted)

6. Banned
    With them acquiring navionics maybe this is why its taking so long with the latest charts software update???

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by waco oso View Post
    With them acquiring navionics maybe this is why its taking so long with the latest charts software update???
    Yea I know. I am waiting to see how good it could be. You would not think it would take a software update that long.

8. Member
    With the live scope out it may have put a hold on everything else.

9. Member
    I had a conversation with Garmin on a different issue the other day, and after it was resolved I asked the guy about this. He said it would probably be a few years. Something about compatability with the software being more complex than just swapping cards.

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I would agree that it isn't as easy as just placing contours/map on a program and they are done.....lot more than that....to make sure everything is correct they have to check it some how.....I would think it would be at least a year if not longer...
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

11. Member
    As a retired IT guy, I can guarantee you that the technical issues for access to navionics maps
    takes a back seat to $$$$'s.

12. Banned
    I'm sure they have people working to convert/merge the data. But when you are talking about 10's of thousands of lakes, and determining which mapping to keep versus which to discard, it's going to take some time.

The actual data itself is most likely easy to work with. It's some type of database format. Moving the data around to make it work in either direction is the easy part.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    I would agree that it isn't as easy as just placing contours/map on a program and they are done.....lot more than that....to make sure everything is correct they have to check it some how.....I would think it would be at least a year if not longer...
    Garmin does not play well with others in the sandbox. Never have. On a corporate" whim" and and I am not sure not too many dollars Garmin installed a solfware block on existing Garmin units which effectivly kept Navionics chips from working in Garmin MFD's. If the goal was customer satisfaction before corporate profits that solfware block could be remove pretty quickly.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokerbill View Post
    Garmin does not play well with others in the sandbox. Never have. On a corporate" whim" and and I am not sure not too many dollars Garmin installed a solfware block on existing Garmin units which effectivly kept Navionics chips from working in Garmin MFD's. If the goal was customer satisfaction before corporate profits that solfware block could be remove pretty quickly.
    It's not so much that they wrote in a "block", it's that they didn't write in the API for Navionics compatibility that I'm sure Navonics provides after they've been paid for licensing.

All moot now. And they're not going to take the time to write that code in when they owns the maps.

15. Member
    [QUOTE=Riccochet;9526521]It's not so much that they wrote in a "block", it's that they didn't write in the API for Navionics compatibility that I'm sure Navonics provides after they've been paid for licensing.

All moot now. And they're not going to take the time to write that code in when they owns the maps.[/QUOTE

Your right it is a Moot point because cries for change are falling on deaf ears.

16. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    We have been told that Garmin units will NEVER accept an Navionics card and only when new units are released will the Navionics maps be in the units (no card). You will be able to update via software....but existing Garmins will never use Navionics cards.

Heard at ICAST from Garmin reps.

just saying....

17. Member
    Thanks guys was just curious.

18. Member
    Good to know..Guess it would be a really good idea not to buy any new Garmin MFD's or GPS/Combo units until Garmin decides to update if a person wanted Navionics.

19. Member

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokerbill View Post
    Good to know..Guess it would be a really good idea not to buy any new Garmin MFD's or GPS/Combo units until Garmin decides to update if a person wanted Navionics.
    Garmin monitors this board and it is good information when you let them know things that affect how you make purchase decisions.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast