Serious issues with 1997 PC gelcoat...

Hey guys, thank you for the add!

So, story is, my son saved his own money and bought a little (16') Fisher Hawk 12v last year. We basically restored it, rebuilt the carbs, etc... fished it all summer and then he sold it for a very nice profit. On to this week...

I have been working out of town, and helping him boat shop the CL and FB ads. He and his mom went to look at this boat the other day and we bought the boat, with us talking on the phone. The guy they bought it from told them that the gel coat was oxidized and needed buffing. Cool, no problem, we can do that.

I get home yesterday only to find that the gelcoat in fact had a clear coat applied to it that was popping off, ON EVERY CORNER, CREVASSE, NOOK and flat spot on the boat. What is odd is, the console decal has the clear on top of it. I tried buffing with compound and wool with a variable speed polisher as the owner said he had done on the bow, which is the only shiny spot on the boat. However, after wet sanding and polishing about a two foot section, I have not come close to the results he did. So here is my question.

What kind of finish did PC apply to their bass boats in 97'? I always thought that they did not put clear on their boats... and to be honest, with decals sprayed over, part of this looks like rattle can clear. It's crazy...

Anyone ran into this issue? What did you do come short of a re-gel? I am thinking I am either gonna go with an aggressive grit and cut it all off, then polish up from there if I can... or wrap it. Thanks, and again, thanks for the add!!!

Someone has sprayed a auto clear on it, Procraft did not use any clear as gel coat is used to help pop the glass out of a mold. Post this on the resto board or search auto clear and you will find plenty of topics and how to get it off, then wet sand and buff.